Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Favorite Focusing Loupe?

Re: Favorite Focusing Loupe?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    The minimum focus distance of the loupe is set when the ring is screwed all the way in to the body, and is designed to focus on objects precisely at the end of the loupe's skirt. By racking the focus ring out you set the focus point beyond that.
    So what do people do with loupes that aren't adjustable?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    So what do people do with loupes that aren't adjustable?
    Either be slightly out of focus by resting it on the gg or fresnel or try to hold it at the proper distance so the grain of the gg is in sharp focus while, at the same time, focusing the camera and checking dof.

Alan, if the your unadjustable loupe is too close rather than too far, and if it is one similar to my unadjustable Wista loupe, which is round (see below; you may find a better photo in a web search), consider making an extension skirt from the kind of black plastic used for report folders, available at various stores. Even I was able to make a good one, and I'm pathetic at construction. I used the plastic, some glued-on or self-adhesive flocking paper (a non-reflective velveteen- or suede-like surface) from Michael's art supply, for the inner surface, and black gaffer's tape.

Using a ruler and a piece of paper card stock, I first found the needed extra distance using the ruler and then cutting a strip of the card stock wrapped around the loupe base. In my loupe's design, the upper edge of the skirt hits flush with the wider knurled ring. I honed the measurement until I got precise focus on the ground surface of the ground glass.

I used the final card width to cut a longer-than-needed strip of my plastic-flocking paper sandwich. The flocking paper is more non-slip than a plastic-on-plastic surface would be. Bit by bit, I shaved off pieces of the strip's length until it fit tightly around the loupe base, and then used gaffer's tape to secure it.

If you're out in the heat a lot, maybe gluing a strip of plastic or other material to hold the skirt on would serve better than gaffer's tape.

Mine stays on firmly. As I mentioned above, reversing the loupe end-to-end and using fingers to space it from the GG is one way, if not ideal, to focus at edges and in corners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails images.jpg  
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

The fresnel is between the GG and my eye. So that means my unadjustable loop sits focused on the fresnel. Don't I have to get the loupe closer to the fresnel to get the GG in focus. Wouldn't lengthening it just put it out of focus? Shouldn't I have to shorten its length so it's closer?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The fresnel is between the GG and my eye. So that means my unadjustable loop sits focused on the fresnel. Don't I have to get the loupe closer to the fresnel to get the GG in focus. Wouldn't lengthening it just put it out of focus? Shouldn't I have to shorten its length so it's closer?
    See for yourself. Take your lens off. Point the camera at a light source, move your loupe towards and away from the gg till you sharply see its grain. That is the point where your loupe is sharply focused on the grain side of your gg. It’s an easy experiment.

OK Thanks everyone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71ffd55300705c526581da8316c2caf+(1).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	209195

Has anyone used the Chamonix/JOBO 5x ground glass loupe?

-- https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/a...es/viewfinders (Chamonix/JOBO 5x ground glass loupe)
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

I started out with a linen tester when I first got into large format. That was a pain to use so I purchased a Schneider 4x loupe which I used for a few years until I lost it. Next I bought a Peak loupe and used that until it was swiped. Next was a cheap 6x plastic loupe with electrical tape around the clear bottom apron and I used that for a number of years until I bought a 5x7 camera with a folding shade over the ground glass. That was when I purchased a Gaoersi 8x loupe that I've found worked better than any of the others I've used. I like the length, the rubber ring on the GG end and the fact that it seems to be closer to 6x than 8x. The lanyard is also a plus.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/