Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Focusing Loupe?

Re: Favorite Focusing Loupe?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    How did you like the glasses and Optivisor?
    The glasses were convenient in some ways, but I was "chicken-necking" under the Dark Cloth. Not always sure I was in focus for the image on the front surface of the GG.

The Optivisoe worked OK indoors when the dark cloth was not needed. Out doors, the Optvisor was difficult to store and deploy and interfered with the dark cloth. The focus ambiguity was still a problem.

t loupe stores compactly, hangs around my neck and is sure to focus on the image formed on the front surface of the GG.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Ahh, but the Silvestri is the Sophia Loren of loupes!
    LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Pentax 5.5x Lupe.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    The glasses were convenient in some ways, but I was "chicken-necking" under the Dark Cloth. Not always sure I was in focus for the image on the front surface of the GG.

The Optivisoe worked OK indoors when the dark cloth was not needed. Out doors, the Optvisor was difficult to store and deploy and interfered with the dark cloth. The focus ambiguity was still a problem.

t loupe stores compactly, hangs around my neck and is sure to focus on the image formed on the front surface of the GG.
    I wonder if anyone has tried those little clip on magnifier lenses that you can clip to your glasses and turn into position when you need them?

I use a pair of clip-ons. It took me a while to remember to flip them up when using the loupe for fine focusing -- loupe doesn't allow focus otherwise -- but they're great for seeing the ground glass. I need my glasses for astigmatism, so I use my distance glasses (as opposed to my computer-monitor-distance ones) when photographing, and use the clip-ons and loupe both, as indicated.
    Last edited by Ulophot; 17-Oct-2020 at 18:24.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Many types of focusing aids can be made to work. If something works for you, go for it.

Aftter doing different things, I have gone to a loupe that can be adjusted for my ground glass, to focus on the surface that forms the image. There is no guess work or physical adjustment required. I have found that other types of magnifiers introduce another "fiddle-factor" into my work flow that interrupts my movement from unpacking-setting up to finally re-inserting the dark slide after tripping the shutter.

I already have an on-going problem with getting all the steps right. Going to a properly set up quality loupe is one aspect of streamlining and simplifying how I get to that final dark-slide-in step.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Many types of focusing aids can be made to work. If something works for you, go for it.

Aftter doing different things, I have gone to a loupe that can be adjusted for my ground glass, to focus on the surface that forms the image. There is no guess work or physical adjustment required. I have found that other types of magnifiers introduce another "fiddle-factor" into my work flow that interrupts my movement from unpacking-setting up to finally re-inserting the dark slide after tripping the shutter.

I already have an on-going problem with getting all the steps right. Going to a properly set up quality loupe is one aspect of streamlining and simplifying how I get to that final dark-slide-in step.
    Drew Which loupe do you use?

I use the Schneider 6x aspheric loupe and have no complaints. I installed an o-ring of the correct diameter and thickness underneath the lip of the eyepiece focus ring. This acts as a spacer to ensure it retains the correct height to focus through the fresnel onto the GG without having to constantly check & reset it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I use the Schneider 6x aspheric loupe and have no complaints. I installed an o-ring of the correct diameter and thickness underneath the lip of the eyepiece focus ring. This acts as a spacer to ensure it retains the correct height to focus through the fresnel onto the GG without having to constantly check & reset it every time.
    Isn't the GG further away? Wouldn't you need to get closer?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Isn't the GG further away? Wouldn't you need to get closer?
    The minimum focus distance of the loupe is set when the ring is screwed all the way in to the body, and is designed to focus on objects precisely at the end of the loupe's skirt. By racking the focus ring out you set the focus point beyond that.