Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x10 format questions.

4x10 format questions.

Earl,

You've obviously received some very thoughtful and well-informed respones. I just want to raise a couple more thoughts in support of my plug for going 8x10. First, if weight is a major concern, there are very light 8x10 cameras available, particularly the Phillips Compact or Explorer models which are, I believe, around 8lb. Second, 8x10 would allow you to do panoramic verticals much more easily than a dedicated 4x10 camera, which you would have to turn on its side. Good luck with your decision.

4x10 format questions.

My 8x10" Gowland Pocket View is just 6.5 lbs. The current version might be slightly heavier, but that would be a plus. Info at www.petergowland.com. Click on "Their Cameras."

4x10 format questions.

Chris,

Actually, as I was typing up my previous post I was thinking of the Phillips Explorer. I don't have the specs in front of me, but I believe the actual weight was in the 5.5 - 6 lb. range. This makes it lighter than the 4x10 Wisner Technical I used to shoot with. However, I believe the Wisner actually has a longer maximum extension. And the Phillips Explorer is horizontal only, so you have the same issue of turning the camera on it's side for verticals. BTW, Wisner also makes vertical versions of his panoramic cameras, but unless you primarily shoot vertical subjects (i.e. skyscrapers), the horizontal version would be a better choice. I can't find the exact weight specs on the Wisner web site, but the 4x10 Expedition model would be in the same ballpark weight-wise as the Phillips Explorer and have about the same maximum bellows extension. Either camera would be a good choice for some one contemplating 4x10, but wishing to keep the weight down. I'm not sure if Phillips is still making the Explorer - anybody know? Finally, does anybody have the specs on the 4x10 camera Patrick Alt makes (made?)?. If I remember correctly, it was of a simpler design than the Wisner/Canham/Lotus models. I think it was a simple tailboard design, which might make it a little lighter than the other 4x10 models.

Kerry

4x10 format questions.

Kerry,

I think I heard from some reasonably reliable source (maybe Phillips himself) that Phillips does still make the Explorer. I understand, however, that he makes his cameras in "runs" of all one model or another, and so it may be a while before he gets to Explorers again.

4x10 format questions.

I understand that there is a waiting list of two years now on the Phillips 8x10 Explorer camera! I heard this recently from someone who had just talked to Richard Phillips.

Earl, if weight is a serious issue, you may want to consider using a 6x17 camera in the field, and then having a digital negative made to bring the print up to the size you wish to use. The cameras are not very light, but the lack of filmholders and the generally shorter focal lengths required for the 6x17 format result in great weight savings.

I would consider the Art Pan camera as one to seriously look at for this use. It is not designed like the Fuji or Linhof, which use large 'cones' on each lens to set the proper distance for focusing. It uses a short bellows, so it is compact and extra lenses do not require a large volume to contain. I understand it can handle from 75mm through 210mm with the proper adapters.

As a person who recently purchased a 7x17 camera, I feel the bulk and weight is worth it for me, but I'm also reasonably young, and should be able to lug this camera around for a number of years.

Finally, If I were getting a panorama sheet film camera in the approximate size of the 4x10 you mention, I would think about the Wisner 6x10 camera that was made a while back. There has been a couple available used in the past year on ebay, etc. I think the proportions are nicer than the 4x10, and the 6 inch minimum dimension will make the print feel larger than a 4x10. Of course, it is 50% larger on that dimension, but those two inches are critical!

Best of luck.

4x10 format questions.

Hi Kerry:

Re. the AltView 410, what would you like to know? I have one. I bought it from Patrick in, I believe, 1997. He met up with me in Sedona, AZ, delivered the camera, and we spent the next 2 days driving around north/central AZ photographing. I used it with a 6.5" WA Gold Ring Dagor, and pre-cut HP5.

Haven't used it since. My main problem is that I felt that the contact print was not large enough. It always felt like a bit like a postcard. I got a couple of exquisite portraits of Jay Dusard at his old ranch in Prescott (fitting subject, fitting setting for this format). But truth be told, I'd really like the opportunity to make enlargements.

If anybody is interested in this camera, please drop me a note.

---Kent