Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wide Angle lens for 8x10?

Wide Angle lens for 8x10?

I'm getting a new Chamonix 8x10. What lenses would you suggest at the wide end?

Asher

Re: Wide Angle lens for 8x10?

The Nikkor 120SW is a fine lens that covers and is reasonably priced. The Schneider Super Angulon 121 will just cover. The Schneider SSXL 110 is reported to cover as well but I have not tried it yet. This last lens is by far the best and most expensive, the Nikkor will be in the middle and the 121 the least expensive. I happen to like the Nikkor and use it a lot both for 8x10 as well as 4x5.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I've used the 121mm Super Angulon on 8x10", and concluded that in the future I will only use it on the slightly smaller 18x24cm format. It just barely covers 8x10" if everything is perfectly aligned and centered, which is not how I take most of my pictures.

For less extreme wide angle, the 165mm f:6.8 Angulon (non-super) is a good and reasonably inexpensive alternative.

For a modern lens, take a look at Schneider SSXL 150mm. For a classic lens, take a look at this little gem..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=019

150mm in a 8x10 will be like a 22mm with a 35mm camera, just to give you an idea.

Thanks, Hugo. Guess I'll cancel my snipe. No chance now.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

A 210mm G-Claron will surprise you. At f32 it covers with very modest movements and at f64 a bit more. The 240 G-Claron covers with lots of movements and is a fine lens. Wollensak 159mm Ex WA f12.5 covers nicely and lived into the coating era I believe. Cooke Series VIIb 162mm is the sweetheart lens but hard to find in decent shutters. Hard to find in any form really.

Agree with Jim. The 210 and 240 G-Clarons are good on the 8x10 use both.
    Funny enough i don't care for the G-Clarons on 4x5 find them harsh but on 8x10 they are different animals.

All the above plus the 165mm Super Angulon if your front standards can take the abuse and you don't plan on going far from the car (they're very heavy chunks of glass) OTOH the Wollensak 159mm WA or EWA are downright dainty and inexpensive alternatives.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Another plug for the Wollensak 159mm Ex WA f12.5. Mine is coated, in an Alphax shutter.

For an extreme wide angle on 8x10, the Berthiot Perigraphe 120mm f14 is tiny and a good performer with enough coverage for reasonable movements. Mine is in a barrel with rotating dial stops, but David Goldfarb has had Grimes put one into a Copal shutter.

Since you did not put a limit on cost, the 6 1/2 inch f8 WA Dagor is another alternative for a small, light 8x10 wide angle. Be prepared to pay a premium, though.

Asher

It all depends on how you shoot. Are you using a 300 or a 360 as your "normal" focal length?

There are a lot of great lenses suggested here. But not much in the middle wide angle range, such as a 240 or 250mm.

After my 300, I got a 240mm. For my eye it was the right jumping down point. Your eye will tell you what's right for you as you test various wide angle focal lengths.

From the 240, I jumped down to a Fujinon W 180mm. It has only millimeters of movement, but is a nice little lens after the 240. But I found I needed a lens near the 180mm range that had movement, so I got a 165 Super Angulon to fill that need.

After getting use to all that, I knew I wanted something very wide, so I found a used Nikkor 120mm to complete my lens selection. This wasn't done overnight. My choices came from learning while shooting.

So you need to ask yourself how a wide angle will help you make photographs? What does my subject matter need?

There is no one 'best' wide angle lens for everyone. Take your time, and you'll know from shooting what you need.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html