Thread: Let's critique the kid :)

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Let's critique the kid :)

Perhaps I should name the thread "Let's embarrass the kid" because that's how he'll see it.

anyhow, at the Port Stanley LF shoot a couple weeks ago, I handed my 16 year old son my Crown Graphic with an older Ilex 161mm tessar with a yellow filter, 4 film holders loaded with Tri-X, a light meter (I later found that was not calibrated - grr) and tripod - see image I took of him below.

Well he never used a view camera by himself before, and i did nothing to help him, just let him go. I developed the film and did the print. some where spoiled by obvious first time mistakes - not making sure the film holder was seated properly, the easy kind of mistakes. Also you'll see by the scan below he's got to work harder on his focusing. He wears glasses for distance like I do, but I always take mine off for focus, so I'll have him do that next time.

So aside from the fact it's a little dark and not quite in focus, what do you think for a first time effort? First shot is one i took of him at harbourside, the second is the one he took.
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Re: Let's critique the kid :)

I'd say that's a very good start. I think the technical details can be learned, either from an understanding or a memorised list of steps, but he has an interesting composition, that's harder to learn. A loupe and a working light meter couldn't hurt!
    If he shows an interest in continuing, I'd suggest Ansel Adams: The Camera, The Negative, The Print for some useful reading. And add his Polaroid Land Photography (for a simplified zone system that works for color film) and The Making of 40 Photographs.

Looks like he has a good eye. Just needs to concentrate on level and focus, as you say. But anything to get him hooked on LF! 16 is quite old enough to get serious about photography. I was seriously into it, and had by own darkroom at 15.

Nice you got the son out for some good dad time.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

"Let's critique the kid "

Let's not and just let him have a good time with the camera and enjoy his time with his dad.

vaughn

If he's interested in photography, have him sign up for a local camera club (or at school if there is one). It it's not really his thing, then buy him a nice digital camera and let him teach you how to use it the next time you're out together.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0

I'd say he's done just fine for his first time out. It's nice that he and you get to go out together -nicely done both of you !!

It's much better that what I got my 1st time out!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi Joe,

I'd say you are getting the fruits of a loving relationship with your son. As long as he spends time with you and you discuss the photographs he'll do very well. There is so much to commend on every picture that the lack of focus does not bother me at all.

Sharp focus is anyway, very much over rated and is an obsessional rigid custom of all of us trying to replicate great photographers and deliver "perfect" images. The latter would make award winning images even with a lens that could not focus sharply for that distance.

The main thing is that the boy is with you and is taking the first steps. Show him some books as suggested and let him pick one to read. I'd not do more than offering books with collections of different styles.

Asher

That is just really, really cool to see - not just from the point of view of photography in general and LF specifically - but as one of those "wow, there are still some things RIGHT with the world!" moments. Well done on both counts.

As far as critique goes, I am over twice his age, and my first LF shoot resulted in ruined negs... apparently there is a right and a wrong way to put the film holders under the gg... Now I know