Thread: Film storage question.

Film storage question.

What is best way to store an opened box of film. Should it be put back in the fridge? IF new film that has been frozen is bought and not opened, can it be put back in the freezer? Any comments here would be welcomed. I am new to this sheet film business. I loaded 4x5 holders last night for the first time. So I let you know how green I am. I've been shooting polaroids.

I have enjoyed reading this forum. So much knowledge here. Is truly a marvel.

Thanks, rod

Darkcloth Fumbler

Re: Film storage question.

you can put film back in the fridge or freezer, even after it's opened. however you should put the box in a ziploc bag as well, to keep condensation from forming as the temperature changes. my personal experience has been with opened and unopened boxes in the fridge, and only unopened in the freezer...only because all my sheet film fits nicely in the fridge, whereas some of my (sealed, unopened) roll film gets stuck in the freezer. so the only thing i don't have direct experience with is opened sheet film boxes, put in the freezer.
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

Don't obsess over it.

Cold storage is long-term storage. If you're going to use it within the year, just keeping it at normal human-comfort temperatures is okay. The expiration date on the film presumes human-comfort temperatures.

Same thing when travelling--you don't have to keep it on ice or anything. Just keep it comfortable where you're comfortable.

Avoid huge swings like pulling it into and out of the refrigerator unless you've got it in a ziplock bag.

I post another question in this thread. Would frozen film with expiration of 1999 still be a good purchase? I have no idea Film is velvia.

thanks,
    rod

I keep opened and unopened sheet film boxes in the freezer, without a ziploc bag and have had no problem so far. When I have to load film, I usually take the box out a few hours before.

Quote Originally Posted by rod454 View Post
    I post another question in this thread. Would frozen film with expiration of 1999 still be a good purchase? I have no idea Film is velvia.
    I do not know about Velvia, but I've bought Astia that expired in 1999 and have had no problems with them. I don't know if they were frozen before, but I put them in the fridge after I got them. Everything seems fine. I think if the Velvia you are looking to buy has been frozen, it should be just fine.

Best wishes,
    Sanjay

I throw opened boxes in and out of the freezer often. No problems to report!

. Would frozen film with expiration of 1999 still be a good purchase?
    thanks,
    rod
    It would be a great deal, if it was much cheaper than new, and IF it was really frozen since manufacture.

But the people who sell used film...are sometimes not so honest.

Know what I mean-jellybean?

Thank you all for your replies. I have another question about paper storage. What about buying paper that is expired: how long and how it should be stored. I've become an Ebay pack rat.

thanks again,
    rod

Thank you all for your replies. I have another question about paper storage. What about buying paper that is expired: how long and how it should be stored. I've become an Ebay pack rat.

thanks again,
    rod
    If it was kept refrigerated, it's not a problem. 'Way back in the early 70s when I was a poor student I used old--but refrigerated--color paper all the time. I'd trust an established store if they specifically stated it had been refrigerated (Helix, for instance, sells such paper and film on eBay), but I would not trust a private individual.

I have long stored film both in a refrigerator and out in Rubbermaid snap top plastic boxes. Perhaps they or something similar come in a size that would be useful to you.