Thread: daylight tank processing of 8x10 negs

daylight tank processing of 8x10 negs

I'm taking the 8x10 plunge, however I don't have a real functioning darkroom. Up to now I've been doing 4x5's with a combi-plan tank. What is available for daylight processing of 8x10 negs that doesn't involve buying a full-blown jobo setup? Sigh.... there is no combi-plan 8x10 tank -- what's a good alternative?

Thanks in advance.

-- George

Re: daylight tank processing of 8x10 negs

I use a unicolor drum on a Beseler reversing roller. With some practice you could load one in a changing bag.

You can do a single sheet in a Paterson Orbital. (I know I'm always harping on about the Orbitals, but they are useful little beasts, you only need 100ml of liquid in there to soup 1 8x10 or 4 4x5 sheets, and they are very easy to load inside a changing bag.)

Another vote for the Paterson Orbital.... but overfill it. Although you can get away with 100ml, I fill up 400-500ml for total submersion.

I use a Ilford processing drum. Can be found very cheap on ebay. It takes one sheet of 8x10 film, 75 ml (!!) for rotation or 1500ml for stand development. Just finished developing a 18x24 cm sheet of Hp5+ in 1:100 Rodinal for semi-stand 45 min (shake every 15min). Very nice!

Best regards
    Morten

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I use a Jobo print drum - a 2830 IIRC. Takes two 8x10" or 18x24cm; or four 5x7" or 13x18cm. It even works great for slides on a second-hand CPE2.

I hand roll a Jobo Expert Drum and although I am not crazy about it, it does do 5 at a time. You need a really big dark bag to load it, but it can be done. A better way to load it is to use a closet at night (with carefully draped blankets), which is what I used to do before I got my darkroom built.

I take the negative out of the drum after fixing it for final washing.

If you do get an Expert Drum, don't ever pull the top off with your head directly over it. All kinds of people have smacked themselves severely in the face and even broken teeth. Fortunately, I was given this advice before attempting it which has allowed me to keep my cute little baby face and toothy grin intact.

I second the Jobo 3005 drum for 8x10. It is a little pricey but there are various ways to roll it without purchasing the actual Jobo systems they were meant to be used with. I use a Beseler Color automatic roller base with mine and it works really well. The Beseler bases can be found on ebay for like $20.

You can also roll the 3005 on a counter top with the lid section/lip off the edge. Put a piece of tape on the lid to mark a full rotation. Works fine..
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post
    I hand roll a Jobo Expert Drum and although I am not crazy about it, it does do 5 at a time. You need a really big dark bag to load it, but it can be done. A better way to load it is to use a closet at night (with carefully draped blankets), which is what I used to do before I got my darkroom built.

I take the negative out of the drum after fixing it for final washing.

If you do get an Expert Drum, don't ever pull the top off with your head directly over it. All kinds of people have smacked themselves severely in the face and even broken teeth. Fortunately, I was given this advice before attempting it which has allowed me to keep my cute little baby face and toothy grin intact.
    I had a Jobo that I hand rolled. I had the air pump for taking the lid off. The unicolor is a much friendlier solution.