Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 or 2 cameras..if you were starting again.

1 or 2 cameras..if you were starting again.

Hello,

To all the wise ones out there...
    If you were having to choose a 54 camera now, based on all your practical experiences, what would you do if you shot both landscapes including the odd building (so backpacking, hiking etc) and interior/exterior (that's architectural work not studio based stuff) work where you need to have the full range of movements...but you never shoot these two styles at the same time!

Given a fixed budget (see used camera choices below) that is not huge would you choose to have both a field/technical camera using lenses from say 75mm to 240mm such as a Horseman FA, wista vx, toyo cf etc and a good old monorail and lenses from say 58mm to 240 like a sinar F1 or 2 or go for just the one camera choosing something like an Arca F-line or discovery which can possibly cover both shooting needs?

Marc

Re: 1 or 2 cameras..if you were starting again.

1 field camera and 1 modular monorail for studio work. Hopefully both take the same lensboards, or an adaptor can be had, so one set of lenses will work with both.

Fixed budget to me means at least two cameras. The wonder cameras tend to cost more then two more basic cameras.

Arca Fline field 141 with a binocular viewer

Scott Davis

Easy-

I'd get the same 4x5 field camera I have now- a Shen-Hao. Then I'd have money enough to put into some serious wide-angle glass.

I'd start the same way that I did originally (tho not very interested in the interior work).

Gowland Pocket View and a CaltarIIN 150mm lens. Backpackable rail camera (<2.5 lbs w/ lens). Mine has the two 6" rails, so I might opt for the two 8" rails (or a 6 and an 8), if I ever thought of a longer lens, or more close-ups. It can take a short lens easily.

My Gowland does not have rear rise/fall or shift...but one can get those movements by using tilt and swing, so I don't think I'd go for the Gowland all-movement which adds a pound or so.

Vaughn

I love my Tachi, and would get another one if possible.

Crown Graphic and Graphic View II.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The Graphic View 2 is very tempting, so is the Gowland and the Nagaoka for something light wieght, but I could do it all with either an Agfa Ansco Universal (and get 5x7 to boot!) or a Linhof Technika. For glass I'd pick a 90mm SA or Ilex Acuton or Wolly equivalent, and a 210 (oh wait, I've already got a 203 f7.7 ektar!) and maybe a 120 SA or 135 WF Ektar.

But I shoot 8x10
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I second the Arca F-Field camera. A seriously nice bit of kit which is extremely versatile for handling everything from 47mm to 360mm without having to swap out bellows.