Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak's new T-Max 400

Kodak's new T-Max 400

Kodak announced today an improved version of T-Max 400. This new version will work its way down into the US market in December and in Europe by Jan according to predictions.

It is supposed to be sharper and finer grained without any change in film speed. The sheet film version will not have a UV coating.

Samples will be given out at the Photo Plus show in NYC next week.

steve simmons

Re: Kodak's new T-Max 400

Shoot-I just ordered 50 sheets of the old new 400 tmax. Having gotten back into 4x5 I decided to standardize on t-max 400 for just this reason. I figured Kodak would continue to improve it, and would be available for a long time. Only problem is Atlanta stores don't stock it-only tri-X 320.

The dev times for the new version are supposed to be very close +/- 30 seconds.

We will get samples as soon as we can.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    Kodak announced today an improved version of T-Max 400. This new version will work its way down into the US market in December and in Europe by Jan according to predictions.

It is supposed to be sharper and finer grained without any change in film speed. The sheet film version will not have a UV coating.

Samples will be given out at the Photo Plus show in NYC next week.

steve simmons
    A small group of devout T Max 400 users have been testing the new film in rolls for the past three weeks and the results have been quite favorable. The new Estar base for sheet film is just now being produced so I hope to have some sample sheets to generate film curves shortly. We held up the announcement of the new TMY ULF sheet film deal until we could evaluate the new film and make sure that there were no surprises. At this stage it appears that the only thing that has changed is the improvement in grain structure. I am pleased that Kodak is continuing to be proactive in taking the lead to improve their B&W films as this is a strong signal that they are interested in the long term of this product segment.

As far as the non UV coating on the sheet film, I want to thank Scott Disabato for going to the matt on this one. We previously pleaded to him that all of the alt process folks would not be able to purchase this film if they did not keep it out of the new formulation and management listened, which is wonderful news. The compromise is that all roll film (120 and 35mm) will have the UV coating present. Such is life.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 9-Oct-2007 at 08:52. Reason: typo

Tmax 400 + Pyrocat HD is becomming my favourite combination. It is nice to see it's being worked on.

But still - what is the UV coating good for? I can imagine longevity but otherwise... ?
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    ..... We held up the announcement of the new TMY ULF sheet film deal. .....
    And when might that be, Michael? Looking forward to some 8x10 and 7x17.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    ...what is the UV coating good for?... ?
    I suspect it's intended to minimize focus shift due to enlarger lens lateral chromatic abberation when printing on variable contrast papers.

Yeah...what Sal said.

Interesting news, have no problems with grain in the "old" version but look forward to try the new.
    Anyway the new boxes will be labeled so that it is easy to differentiate between new and old?

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Tmax 400 + Pyrocat HD is becomming my favourite combination. It is nice to see it's being worked on.

But still - what is the UV coating good for? I can imagine longevity but otherwise... ?
    I was told that the UV coating is desired by production engineers for emulsion quality control issues. Could be relating to the stresses that are imposed to wound roll film that are not present in sheets that are laying flat in a box. Whatever the reasons all we need to be concerned about is that this coating is not present in sheet film.

The ULF deal paperwork contracts are ready for signature as we have found a fabulous sponsor post J&C that I feel will put everyone at ease from a transactional perspective. We also want to reach out to all formats and insure that no matter what size sheet film you shoot, we will set up a very attainable procedure to get it cut and packaged. This time in 25 sheet correct sized boxes. We will also not be doing the whole deal en masse, but spreading out the orders to every two to three months throughout the year. Easier for everyone including Kodak.

Cheers!