Page 352 of 355 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,520 of 3545

Thread: Flowers Anyone?

Re: Flowers Anyone?

Dying Tulip. Photo of the print. This one is tough to print, the background has too much density. Too much density! You don't hear us say that too often about shadows.

I used to call this bent tulip, then my wife said she hated this photo because it just reminded her of death. I agree and like it even more now.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

M.A. Wikstrom

8x10 contact print. 12 inch Dagor with X-ray film. The purplish color from selenium toning doesn't come through on this cell phone photo.
    thumbnail_image0 (12) by Marco Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by willwilson View Post
    Dying Tulip. Photo of the print. This one is tough to print, the background has too much density. Too much density! You don't hear us say that too often about shadows.

I used to call this bent tulip, then my wife said she hated this photo because it just reminded her of death. I agree and like it even more now.
    Nice

Martin

Photographed on Ilford FP4+ with the 11.5" Wollensak Verito (thanks, Sam!) mounted to the 8x10 Deardorff.

I've been through a lot of this thread. I'm not much of a flower/nature photographer but this thread is inspiring. Thank you.

Adox Ortho PL25 5x7 Norma MicX 360 Apo Ronar by Nokton48, on Flickr

5x7 Sinar Norma #2 360mm F9 Rodenstock Apo Ronar barrel at F11 Adox 5x7 Ortho PL25 Yellow filter Broncolor C200 1500WS Monolight popped eight times into Broncolor Octobox 150 with supplemental diffusion. 4x6 foot foamcore fill right just out of the frame. Legacy Mic-X straight replenished mixed in 2019. 5x7 Contact Print on Arista RC #2 Dektol 1:2 . I shot one frame at four pops, and one at eight pops. The denser neg looks better to me. Canvas background is "Tim Kelly Gold Plaster" painted for me by Artist David Maheu.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Jeffery Dale Welker

In 2017, Christopher Barrett posted his set-up for floral photography work - https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1384718
    Unfortunately, the link he posted no longer works. I've tried emailing Mr. Barrett, but no joy. I've even tried the Wayback Machine, but no joy either. I am not totally conversant in using the Wayback Machine, so the issue may be with me. It appears Christopher has not posted on the LFPF for a couple of years.

Any thoughts on how I can find the information and the associated images Mr. Barrett posted?
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Nicholas O. Lindan

Quote Originally Posted by willwilson View Post
    ... I used to call this bent tulip, then my wife said she hated this photo because it just reminded her of death.
    Well, if you hang it upside-down then you can call it "Unfolding Tulip."

The tulip isn't dead. It's just shedding its petals because it is, hopefully, pregnant. Pregnancy doesn't usually jibe with glamour (unless it is your wife...) - it's a time for sweat pants, baggy T-shirts and sensible shoes. Same with the tulip, it is shedding its sexy attire - it has served its purpose. Your wife should be able to relate; The photo isn't depicting death but birth.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Lilacs #4
    Last edited by paulbarden; 2-Jun-2023 at 15:24.

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    Well, if you hang it upside-down then you can call it "Unfolding Tulip."

The tulip isn't dead. It's just shedding its petals because it is, hopefully, pregnant. Pregnancy doesn't usually jibe with glamour (unless it is your wife...) - it's a time for sweat pants, baggy T-shirts and sensible shoes. Same with the tulip, it is shedding its sexy attire - it has served its purpose. Your wife should be able to relate; The photo isn't depicting death but birth.
    To me it is neither death nor birth but rather an awkward pose, that nevertheless makes an interesting image.
    There is also an awkward transition from light to dark and vice versa around the edges of the plant (especially noticeable at the top third of the image) towards the background that suggest a heavy manipulation of tones (similar to an aggressive unsharp masking with large radius in PS) that distracts attention away from the subject.