Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feisol and/or Benro fibre tripods and heads??? Any good for large format

Feisol and/or Benro fibre tripods and heads??? Any good for large format

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for some recommendations and experiences on Feisol and Benro carbon fibre tripods.

I want to purchase one or maybe two different ones, but would rather carry a slightly heavier one around, if it will serve my needs.

I'm using mainly a Mamiya 7, sometimes a Pentax 67 and a SpeedGraphic with an Aero Ektar ( heavy combo).

For heads: I own a NPC Prohead, besides some other ones I don't use much, but would rather go for something more sturdy. Does anybody own a Benro KS or KV head? Are you happy with it? What about the Feisol ones?

Anybody using the mentioned tripod brands and what are your experiences. Did you buy directly from the maker? How did it work out for you....?! (I'm located in Europe)

Regards and thanks in advance,

Heinrich

Re: Feisol and/or Benro fibre tripods and heads??? Any good for large format

Can't beat the Giottos Carbon and Lava models and they are sold by local stores in the USA. 5 year warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Can't beat the Giottos Carbon and Lava models and they are sold by local stores in the USA. 5 year warranty
    Thanks Bob for the idea, but I'm in Germany/Spain...will have a look at them as well, but still interested in the user experiences regarding the other tripods I mentioned.

Regards
    Heinrich

Feisol 3471 is the one I have and it's more than satisfactory for my Ebony SV45 and Sinar P cameras. I don't know about their heads, I use a Really Right Stuff for everything but the Sinar where I like their tilt-pan made for the Sinar. I like to hear some feedback on Feisol heads but so far there doesn't seem to be anyone using those. I don't think you can beat the Feisol for the cost and service. I got mine in 4 days shipped from China to Michigan in 4 days and at $400 for the tripod, column and bag plus tools.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Greg,

thanks for the info. How does the feisol handle??? Is it quite bulky, becuse of the diameter of the construction of the upper part? Which tripod did you use before?

Thanks in advance,

Heinrich

Greg, thanks for the answers.

How does the feisol handle? Is it rather bulky because of the large diameter of the upper part? And which tripod did you use before?

Regards
    Heinrich

Even though it is 37mm at the top tubes, it doesn't feel that bulky. The cusions are a great touch if you are carrying it on the shoulder. It is very light. Since it is 4 section you can get to a very high height. I normally only use three sections and I'm 2 meters tall. My old tripod is a old Gitzo Cremmieuie 3 (sp) that I bought in 1973. I'm familiar with carbon fiber strength and stability since my bike of 12 years is a carbon fiber one. The next size smaller tripods would probably be adequate enough for your medium format cameras, but I like over kill for my tripod and heads. 95% of my work is in the studio but on occasion I am asked to copy mural paintings for later printing. There are several threads here about the Feisol, just type in the name at the search and you will get a lot of good information. Even some of the old timers here are recent "converts".
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Giottos is sold by Lowe Pro in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Giottos is sold by Lowe Pro in Germany
    Bob, thanks again. I already had a look at the website. I knwo my dealers in Germany quite well and usually they are not too well equipped with Giotto gear. I looked at the ballheads and actually liked what I saw....Maybe I get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    Even though it is 37mm at the top tubes, it doesn't feel that bulky. The cusions are a great touch if you are carrying it on the shoulder. It is very light. Since it is 4 section you can get to a very high height. I normally only use three sections and I'm 2 meters tall. My old tripod is a old Gitzo Cremmieuie 3 (sp) that I bought in 1973. I'm familiar with carbon fiber strength and stability since my bike of 12 years is a carbon fiber one. The next size smaller tripods would probably be adequate enough for your medium format cameras, but I like over kill for my tripod and heads. 95% of my work is in the studio but on occasion I am asked to copy mural paintings for later printing. There are several threads here about the Feisol, just type in the name at the search and you will get a lot of good information. Even some of the old timers here are recent "converts".

I will do the search...actually the numbers for Feisol, Benro, Gitzo are so confusing, it is really hard to understand which is which.

Thanks for the advice