Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 5D with Pentacon Globica II ?

Canon 5D with Pentacon Globica II ?

Hello,
    I made similair question on fredmiranda forum but they seem to be offline now. My father bought for bargain price Pentacon Globica II - 13x18 with Zeiss Tessar 210 lens. I made couple experiments with it but its nearly 7-8 years only nice piece of forniture.
    This week I read this article: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...ew-camera.html

And on FM forum I found this adapter:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Moveable-Adapter...QQcmdZViewItem

So I started to play with idea if will be something similair possible with 5D and Globica? I really dont know if is possible to "connect" 5D with Globica and what results(if there will be any) should I expect.

Matt

Re: Canon 5D with Pentacon Globica II ?

I did this very thing but with a little more expensive adapter. Mine cost $400.00 and is no longer available. See thread http://www.largeformatphotography.in...+married+Sinar Item#5
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Thanks for info. I will probably buy that chinese 4x5 adapter. But Im not sure how I fit it to globica because globica is 13x18cm - Im not sure but i guess its 5x7 in inches. There are also 2 versions of this adapter normal and moveable. Im thinkig about that normal unmoveable adapter.

You can also get them from fotodiox.com. I have one -it is made to fit a 4x5 graflok or universal back. If you have a 13x18 camera, I don't think they will do you much good unless you have a reducing back. You could probably create an adapter, but if you're going to go through that work you might as well create one from scratch following the directions in the article you link to.

Bill

I was also thinking about making my own adapter. But its seem for me to be esier way to make reducing back for the adapter. Good thing about Globica is that is wooden so I think it will be more accurate just to build reducing back fot adapter rather than built whole adapter. Im also not good in "making" this things on my own.

I have to ask - to what advantage is using the adapter? Shooting the 5D, with a Canon lens, on a tripod will produce the same result. It will also be easier to use and probably sharper.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
    I have to ask - to what advantage is using the adapter? Shooting the 5D, with a Canon lens, on a tripod will produce the same result. It will also be easier to use and probably sharper.
    Ahhh...no. You can get about a 90 megapixal image if you stitch. Canon'a are sharp for 35mm I won't argue but I have an Visioflex with 65mm Elmar married to the 5D that beats all of my Canon lenses.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
    Im hoping to use this mutant mainly for macro and try some stitching. It will be my sin not try it when it so cheap solution.

Any view camera that has a removable back can be adapted to a roll film, 35mm SLR, or DSLR body quite easily, but this approach will never take the place of real, large-format negatives. For one thing, the lens focal lengths normal to 4x5 photography give mostly extreme telephoto views when coupled to such small format equipment, and it is far easier to shoot a 4x5 neg, than to shoot multiple pops with a DSLR and stitch. Besides to keep large format alive, we need to continue to support the manufacturers of film, and keep buying it!!!! I just shot 44 5x7 negs, and 44 4x5 negs in the last three days. I am doing my part.

I posted the same message at FM forum.

The adapter arrived. Well built - solid, it can rotate. I guess its from some kind of metal. Its perfect. Problem is that I cant focus. I made my own reduction for the 4x5 adpater to fit 5x7. I dont know what I did wrong. Probably the 5D is to much ahead as it should be comparing it with position of the focus glass plate. I will try to rebuild it to put the 5D in the position of the glass. I will appreciate any ideas what Im doing wrong. Im started to think that its not possible with 5x7.