Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: feedback: long time Maxwell Screen users?

Re: feedback: long time Maxwell Screen users?

I've had a 4x5 Maxwell on one of my cameras for about 5 years. It was a pretty big chunk of money, but I've never regretted it. It's wonderful.
    That being said, I have glass from both Dave Parker and Geert on several other cameras and have been extremely satisfied with them as well.
    In actual use - out in the field - I really don't see any drawbacks to any of them.
    Tom

I have used Maxwell screen on my MT2000 purchased in 2001 and before that for 3 years on my Wisner (which I sold with the camera). I have used the Bos screen, and had two of them melt... The Maxwell screen in my opinion is fantastic, and worth the price.

Mike

I just got a brand new one on my Linhof TK45s now about 6 months ago, and love it. Its one of the brightest, if not THE brightest out there.

Be forewarned - if you call Bill Maxwell, make yourself a cup of coffee/tea, because you're going to be on the phone for awhile. Bill goes to great lengths to discuss just about all aspects of photography and it's always a pleasant conversation.

Another vote for Maxwell, although I have not used anything else so have no real comparison. But Maxwell rocks for sure. It was a night and day from the original screen.

I've used a Maxwell in my Sinar for a couple of years now. Works great. That said both Linhof and Satin Snow make very fine standard screens. I'd check what comes with the Linhof first to see if it's ok. If not, try a Satin Snow, as they have a very good reputation and are inexpensive. (I've not tried one, though.) Remember that enhanced screens work best with a limited number of focal lengths, and so you should talk to Bill Maxwell about what lenses you want to use the screen with if you decide to go that way.

Another strong vote for the Maxwell screens! After a couple of great conversations from Australia with Bill, I had him fit his screens to my Canham MQC57 and the 4x5 reducing back for the same camera. The low light difference was excellent especially shooting in that early morning light before sun up. Like Ben said, you need to put some time aside when you do call but I learnt a lot from Bill which was well worth the effort (and result!).

Dave

Dave your comments are interesting. When I got a Maxwell from Bill for my Rollei SL66 and he asked about other cameras I told him I had a Canham MQC. He told me to stick with the factory screen, which he said was excellent. I have now seen a Maxwell LF screen (ordered for a Deardorff) and it appears to me essentially identical to the Canham one, down to the painting of the glass with the little circle in the middle. Makes me wonder if Canhams come with Maxwell screens.

Kevin, I think I bought my MQC around 2003. I got it used from B&H so not sure of its "heritage". Both the screens on the 5x7 and 4x5 reducing back were courser in appearance and it was hard to get focus in low light. Bill's screens have a much finer appearance and have made all the difference.

On your comment about ...the painting of the glass with the little circle in the middle.... I think you might be confusing that with the separate glass(?) added at the back of the screen with the grid marks and the little circle? Bill added new gridded glass from Keith C to each screen for me with the outlines of 617, 612 formats. My originals didn't have those formats marked before.

You may be right that the newer Canhams come with Maxwell screens (or similar). Mine being an older one I'm sure didn't. Hope this helps.

Dave

Does Bill Maxwell ever answer emails? I've tried contacting him twice at maxwellprecisionoptics@toast.net and got no reply, being in the UK I'm a bit loathed to phone.

If he can't/doesn't want to provide me with a screen it leaves me with options like the Beattie Screen but that £282!

Have you tried phoning him? his details are here http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html