Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pentax Digital Spotmeter

Re: Pentax Digital Spotmeter

If you want accurate information on the meter then contact Richard Ritter. He did the original Zone VI modifications before Calumet bought the company and he still repairs the meters (both modified and unmodified). You can reach him at rrlg4mat@sover.net.

I don't know what the market is like in Europe, but I was able to find one (sn 125305) at a local shop here for $150. I let the guys know I was in the market for a spotmeter and they held it for me when it came in used. Prices on ebay for some things are a lot higher than what I have been able to find at a local shop/swap. I might call around and see what you can find, even if it means driving an hour or more.

Thanks..

- Skorzen -

there are NO local shops that would be even aware of the the existence of LF. Not they would actually sell some used stuff. I was not even able to find a lab in Frankfurt that would be developing both color positives and negatives 4x5 film (forget the BW). I am sending my stuff to Koeln!

So - for the Gods sake - where on earth is there a shop in Europe that will find for me a Pentax Digital Spotmeter for $150 that is in nice condition and fully working... ?
    Matus

Matus,
    My nephew has recently developed an interest in 4x5 photography. He wanted to get a spot meter. I recommended the Pentax Digital Spot Meter, which he purchased and has put to good use. You are correct; a good meter is a valuable long-term investment. Meters last a long time, both good ones and not so good ones. I have used my Soligor since 1981. If I ever need to replace it, it will be with the Pentax meter.

You will find your spot meter much more useful if you purchase or make a zone dial for it. Zone VI (alas now defunct) sold them, as did Calumet. You will probably have to make one. This is easily done. (Do a search on this forum and you will find instructions.)

I highly recommend you buy the book The Zone VI Workshop by Fred Picker. It is very readily available used through amazon. It is, in my opinion, the best first book on the Zone System. Whether you use black and white or color, a basic knowledge of the Zone System will benefit you.

To really get full value from your meter, use it as a second opinion. After you have chosen your image and set up your camera, use your eyes to judge the light. Make some brief notes in a pocket notebook and set the exposure on your camera. Expose a negative with this exposure. Then, pull out your meter and use it. Make sure you note the meter readings and, if they differ from your eye, make a second exposure. You will soon develop a proficiency at this which will help your seeing. The meter will become a valued second opinion to your eyes. In this way your meter will also be an investment in your skill.

Ken

Ken

I am jut rading the "The Negative" from AA. I will consider getting the Fred Pickers book as well.

It is a very interesting idea to first to try to judge the light without the lightmeter and make one exposure like that - and only then to take out the lighemter. I will defenitely try that.
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Thanks..

- Skorzen -

there are NO local shops that would be even aware of the the existence of LF. Not they would actually sell some used stuff. I was not even able to find a lab in Frankfurt that would be developing both color positives and negatives 4x5 film (forget the BW). I am sending my stuff to Koeln!

So - for the Gods sake - where on earth is there a shop in Europe that will find for me a Pentax Digital Spotmeter for $150 that is in nice condition and fully working... ?
    I got lucky with mine, I guess things are a little more barren over there then they are here in the States (and their pretty bad here). The only LF camera I have seen in a shop is a very old pre anniversary speed graphic in bad shape. I am fortunate to have found a shop that dealt with a lot of film and "real" photography gear back int he day so they still have some stuff from that era and have a clue about it.

WG

I have the Sekonic L438 and love it!

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

I've got a really old and now scruffy looking Pentax analogue spot meter (Pre "V"). My guess is it's about 30 years old.
    Casing had a crack in it. Works fine. (it's the only meter I have). Gets new batteries annually. Cost: may be 80$ on that auction site....
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    I've got a really old and now scruffy looking Pentax analogue spot meter (Pre "V"). My guess is it's about 30 years old.
    Casing had a crack in it. Works fine. (it's the only meter I have). Gets new batteries annually. Cost: may be 80$ on that auction site....
    Mine is perhaps the same age, but I had it rebuilt by Pentax about 7-8 years ago - when such things were still possible. I love my analog meter, and don't personally understand the attraction of a digital spot meter. Even my incident light meter is an analog Sekonic.

Sarcasm mode = ON
    Mind you, I prefer analog clocks - you know, the ones with a little hand for hours and big hand for minutes - whereas my son seems to prefer digital clocks. Perhaps this new, younger generation never learned in school how to use complex machines like dials and meters- they have to be held by the hand and have everything explained out to them.

eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

- Carsten -

Yes - I was considering the Analog Pentax Spotmeter V. The prices are somewhat lower, but what keeps me aside is larger size and - well - the age. I gues that a possibility that such a meter will need at least a calibration after a year or two would quickly equal the higher price of the Digital version.

- Joseph -

Shoul I understand that it is not possible to have the Pentax V overhauled by the Pentax anymore?

Ah .. you are using clocks .. ? .. I do not use any
    Perhaps this new, younger generation never learned in school how to use complex machines like dials and meters- they have to be held by the hand and have everything explained out to them.
    That's why I returned the Sekonic. It required two hands for the operation
    Matus