Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black and White Spider Awards?

Black and White Spider Awards?

Anyone know anything about this "Black and White Spider Awards"?

http://www.thespiderawards.com/

Seems to have some big commercial photography names but I still kind of think all contests are scams... but still for $35 it is nice way to get a good picture in front of some of those judges.... you think?

There is some excellent work in the past winner's galleries.

Re: Black and White Spider Awards?

I tried entering a single image last year, which probably not surprisingly did not make it into their choices. I did get a nice calendar from them. Suppose you could consider whether you want a nice calendar, or if you manage to get in whether that line on your exhibit history will mean anything.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

I never knew about this but the work on their site is rather good.

Maybe I'll enter and bring it down a notch !

I've seriously thought about starting a photo contest. Maybe it is hard to sell photos to real clients, but selling to photographers always seemed like the easier business.

Really not that funny an idea Frank. That is how the majority of contests work, especially the larger ones; money is made for those organizing the contests, which then functions more as a business. Considering that the judges maybe have 3 seconds per image (or less), it really is sort of a crap shoot. Subtle images don't stand much of a chance in most contests, though there have been exceptions. Personally I now think there are only two contests worthy of effort, though I will continue doing juried exhibits.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Could be interesting. But I'd rather use my $35 for gas and go somewhere.

Actually contest if cherry picked, can be a great promotional tool.
    Aperture foundation is a very respectable entity that sure would put the name of the winner photographers in the map.
    I will not submit to those contests where my work will only appear in their website(Aperture excluded).
    I find that local contests are more effective in order to be known at least in my area.
    The positive thing is that you can go to the receptions more easily and practice your networking skills and actually meet people.
    Your work alone, no matter how good it is, will not go anywhere if you don't make it public in the most diverse manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Really not that funny an idea Frank. That is how the majority of contests work, especially the larger ones; money is made for those organizing the contests, which then functions more as a business. Considering that the judges maybe have 3 seconds per image (or less), it really is sort of a crap shoot. Subtle images don't stand much of a chance in most contests, though there have been exceptions. Personally I now think there are only two contests worthy of effort, though I will continue doing juried exhibits.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Don't be shy Gordon, which two contests do you believe are worth entering?

Odd it isn't mentioned in the PDN website among the other photography contests when one of the judges is an editor at PDN.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

CommArts Photo Annual, and PDN Photo Annual. Of course, if you are trying to get deeper into fashion photography, then add the Surface Magazine Avante Guardians.

I should explain that I prefer these because of the potential increase in advertising and corporate work from appearing in them. If your only interest is fine art photography, then probably disregard those.

Consider that when you do get into some contest, it is often up to you to inform others that you made it into the final cut. In other words, it is something to help your marketing. So maybe approaching contests with the idea of what will this do for me and my photography, and then some might make more sense than others.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio