Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Photo Group Book ROUND TWO OPEN CALL

LF Photo Group Book ROUND TWO OPEN CALL

OK based on our tests with the first round, we are going to reopen our call for submissions for the group book showcasing photos from the members of this forum.

We are going to use Lulu and the book should be about 180-pages and cost about $35 for a softbound. Lulu is not the greatest printer but we are getting reasonable results and the next price/quality level would put the books at over $100 each, so take it or leave it.... Please save the discussion for other threads, let's try to keep this on point for future reference. You can download a PDF of the first version of the book, it is linked on the previous thread.

You can submit up to TWO images, each person gets a two-page spread. If you previously submitted images and and want to add or swap images please label your image with "SWAP" in the title.

DEADLINE is OCTOBER 15, 2007. The final book should be ready in time for you to order it from Lulu by the Holidays.

Submit via email only to: fotosubmit@yahoo.com

READ THIS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING:

To save hassles, please follow these directions exactly. Please do not msg Cyrus or me directly, ask your technical questions online or amongst each other so that everyone can benefit. And no special favors, sorry.

1. Submit cropped and retouched images in color RGB or B&W Greyscale format.

Greyscale images will be converted to RGB by myself, with a slight color adjustment added to compensate for the printing color cast. Please do not try to "tone" or "duotone" or do any other wacky stuff to your greyscale images, it will not reporoduce well. Just send greyscale please.

You don't have to tag the images with profiles, but if you do, please use "Adobe RGB" for color and "Gamma 1.8" for greyscale.

I will use exactly what you send, do not assume that I will crop or edit for you. For most normal images, try to hit a black and a white point and keep the tones distinct and clear. Don't oversharpen. Ask the experts in other threads as to what these directions might mean. I can not give everyone a tutorial!

2. Scan to be 8x10 inches or smaller, at 300 pixels per inch (sorry idk the metric offhand). Images will be printed smaller than 8x10 on 8.5x11 pages. If you want to print yours smaller than normal, please note this along with your caption.

3. Save images as high quality (8-9 level) Photoshop .jpg files. No f-ing exceptions! They will reproduce fine. This is not the highest level of print quality.

4. Title images EXACTLY please:

"Last NAME - Underscore - First NAME - Underscore - TITLE OF IMAGE - Period - SUFFIX"

For example:

"Petronio_Frank_Bootycall.jpg"

5. Send Short 2-3-4 word captions, such as the image title and location, plus your name, in the body of the email you use to send the images.

I will not add additional text, it isn't fair to others and it is a proofing and logistical nightmare.

6. Send ONE image PER email. Put your name and title in the SUBJECT line.

7. Sorry but don't even think of making any special requests or any of that bullshit. You are not special, haha.

I think I've mentioned "no special favors" a few times now... perhaps this should give you an idea of what it is like to deal with 100 anal-retentive prima donnas ;-)

OK, sorry to be a hard-ass. Don't make a big deal about it, it isn't rocket science.

Thanks,
    Frank

Re: LF Photo Group Book ROUND TWO OPEN CALL

Sounds very intriguing. I've never scanned any of my images from the darkroom any suggestions on 1) scanning the negative vs. print 2) where to have it scanned 3) do these scans do justice to 4x5 or 8x10 contacts? Thanks for doing this, I think I'd like to participate if I can resolve those questions. I'm a long time lurker and avid photographer. cheers!
    Last edited by Wobblie; 17-Sep-2007 at 11:58. Reason: typographical error

Good news, Frank. I'll submit a second image. In the one I sent in for the first version felt a bit alone

G

My questions were answered **SURPRISINGLY** by looking in the thread for submissions for round one. Who would have guessed! ha ha

Oh baby...

Just to let everyone know - I will be busy with my lawsuit so Frank has been gracious enough to handle round 2 but of course I'll help out as I can. But don't assume that Frank knows about any previous communication with me personally.

Paul Cocklin

Frank, if I can be of any help at all as well, just let me know.

Paul

If you previously submitted images and and want to add or swap images please label your image with "SWAP" in the title.
    I don't have to re-submit if I already submitted for the first book, do I?? Just verifying...

Paul Cocklin

Andrew, Frank will correct me if I'm wrong, but no, you don't. You would only have to resubmit if you wanted to change your images from the first round, or if you had only submitted one and wanted to do another one.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    .....100 anal-retentive prima donnas ;-)

OK, sorry to be a hard-ass. Don't make a big deal about it, it isn't rocket science.

Thanks,
    Frank
    HEY BUDDIE! I happen to BE a rocket scientist! I feel singled out and picked on

Seriously thanks for the excellent effort!