Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing a rather large filter ring dent

Removing a rather large filter ring dent

First off, I'm an idiot, and here's the proof:

Dropped my 210mm Nikkor-W six feet onto bare concrete. The lens glass itself and the shutter seem fine, but the filter ring has clearly seen better days. I need an operational filter ring, though - I can't just swallow my pride and keep using it the way it is. Oh, and those aren't nicks in the glass, just debris from the ground.

Micro Tools has these in stock:

Anybody ever use something like this? I'm willing to pay the $35 plus shipping if it means I can actually use my lens properly again. I'd put a piece of leather or something between the jaws and the lens to keep from fouling the threads, but it seems like if used carefully (and I am very mechanically inclined, despite being occasionally clumsy) it should work well.

Other ideas, anyone? Is there anywhere that will fix this for the cost of the tool or less? Thanks!

Re: Removing a rather large filter ring dent

Yep, next best thing is a set of filters of varying sizes to 'turn' the dent out by slowly coaxing and stretching it back to shape.

You're not that far from Big "D" and Ft. Worth where there should be several camera repair sites or camera stores that may well have this same type of tool for quick fixes.

What you have to think about is that the curve of the repair surface is not likely to match the curve of the filter, so you will have to do this in increments...just a little at a time with rotating the position for each effort until it looks about right. (I have experience although with less costly lenses.)

By time you are done, your filter should be quite usable, but you may or may not be able to properly thread another filter into the front. When it was done for me, it was definitely a trial and error sort of job.

Good luck.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Oh, off on a bit of a tangent.... if you knock out the dent but can't repair the filter thread completely, buy a stepping ring and you might be able to get it fitted to the front of the lens; this way you've effectively replaced the damaged thread with a new thread. Just a thought

Using that tool I should be able to get the ring back to usable shape. Probably a good tool to have on hand anyway. The threads aren't mashed up, so as long as I keep them protected while re-forming the aluminum back to the proper round shape, I should be OK. I've fixed a ton of smaller dents/dings on 35mm lenses with great success, but this is by far the biggest one I'll have tried to tackle.

David, get a filter to run through the thread once it's nearly the right size, it should help avoid buckling "when you need it"

The guy that worked on mine put a scrap of soft leather on each face of the tool to protect the threads.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

If you go with the tool, be careful not to deform the filter ring on the other side. The step-up ring is not a bad idea, as you'll likely not get the threads perfect, and my damage the threads to all your filters.

I'd also worry that the lenses may have been knocked out of alignment by such an impact, though I'm certainly no expert on such things...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

That tool looks a little risky. Mark's comments may be true. I have repaired similar damage myself, but I am a master machinist and craftsman, and I own my own shop. Whatever you do to re-shape the metal, know that it's OK to remove damages threads completely (just the shallow threads inside) in areas up to about .5" long and filters will still thread on. While I can't guarantee perfect results as each case is unique, I could likely repair it for you for a fee.

Jeffrey, I've sent you a PM.

I'm still weighing my options, but the more I look at it the less I feel like trying my hand at it myself.