Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film Loading Problems

Unhappy Film Loading Problems

Seems like such a simple task, yet I'm having incredible problems!

I got a new 5x7 camera and I snagged some Lisco Regal filmholders from flea bay and I purchased some old Kodak Vericolor III from a forum member a while back. So I go into my "darkroom" (read: bathroom) to load the film. Slide the first sheet in, and when I reach the end the film edge nearest the flap doesn't drop into the holder. On the side of the flap that's toward the film there's a bar that is supposed to hold the film to the inside of the holder....and with this film it's bowing the edge of the film. I try another sheet on another holder....same thing. On and on through all of them. I decided to sacrifice the last sheet to have a peek in the light - make sure I wasn't loading it incorrectly. And sure enough, it's as though the film is ~ 1mm too long.

So what do I do? If I force the edge in the center of the film bows outward (badly at that). If I push the flap in really hard the edge of the film bows slightly inward. I have no tools to trim the film down.

And in the long term......is this a problem with the film, or the holder?? I'm wondering if I'm going to have this problem with other films on an ongoing basis.

Thanks for your help!
    --Alec

Re: Film Loading Problems

Alec,

Waste a sheet of film and load the holder in the light... take a look at "why" a sheet of 5x7 film isn't fitting into a 5x7 holder. There has to be a logical reason for this.

Isn't there a European version (??) of this format?

I've not had any problems with the 5x7 holders I have. They're used with Ilford and Kodak films.

Good luck on resolving the issue...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Waste a sheet of film and load the holder in the light... take a look at "why" a sheet of 5x7 film isn't fitting into a 5x7 holder. There has to be a logical reason for this.
    Yup, did that:

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444 View Post
    I decided to sacrifice the last sheet to have a peek in the light - make sure I wasn't loading it incorrectly. And sure enough, it's as though the film is ~ 1mm too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Secondly, isn't there a European version (??) of this format?
    And just checked now: Lisco holder reads "5x7" and film reads "5x7 / 12.7mm x 17.8mm" so it's clearly not 13 x 18. And if Kodak was to be off a bit I'd think they'd make it shorter not longer!!!

I'll shoot the 5 sheets I have loaded with the inward curve and see how they fare...

--A

Are you getting the film under the lips that seperate it from the gark slide? Smetmes it is easy to get the film in the worng "slot" Try loading your sacraficial sheet of film again and sllide the darklide home and see what happens. If you feel resistence when inserting the darkslide then thats likely the cause.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've been shooting 5x7 for several years now. It's my favorite format. And until recently I had never encountered Alec's problem. However, I bought some infrared film that did exactly what he's describing. Just a sliver too long to drop down in. Haven't processed any yet to see what effect it will have. But I suspect that it will have some effect unless we shoot at very small apertures.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Sometimes it doesn't slide into the groove in the bottom of the holder. i take my finger and run it along the bottom edge slightly and it will allow it to then slide under the end flap. It has not damaged the film in any way. Watch out for finger nails however.

Waste a sheet of film and do it in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I've been shooting 5x7 for several years now. It's my favorite format. And until recently I had never encountered Alec's problem. However, I bought some infrared film that did exactly what he's describing. Just a sliver too long to drop down in. Haven't processed any yet to see what effect it will have. But I suspect that it will have some effect unless we shoot at very small apertures.
    Glad I'm not alone. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm testing this film out before our weekend next week to make sure I don't end up with a bunch of crumby images. I'm not worried about the side being in focus, more concerned about the visual distortion it might leave. The real bummer is that I have ~ 150 more sheets of this film. I'm thinking about filing down one or two holders specifically for this film....

--A

alec,
    bring the sacrificed film and a holder on sat and lets look at it. i am going to go out on a limb and say that kodak cut it correctly. it must be the fit in the holder.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Another way to check if it is film or holders might be to get a new box of film, preferably different brand, and see if the same thing happens.

Update: Ilford FP4 Film fits fine. I think the Kodak Vericolor Film is slightly larger... Should get back pics today or tomorrow from the lab - I'll see how it fared.

--A