Jeffrey, I regularly use a motorcycle on photographic trips. ItBs a superb method of combining fun with fun! In the last 5 years I have covered 30,000 miles on my 1100cc Honda Pan European, known in the States as the Honda ST1100, most of it with medium or LF gear on board. I have a Tamrac Expedition 5 rucksack, which easily takes my Linhof body with 3 lenses, 8 DD slides, Pentax spot meter and accessories. This outfit conveniently fits inside the hard side pannier. Alternatively, a Hasselblad outfit in a Billingham bag fits in the top box. The spare boxes are then used for clothing etc. My Gitzo tripod is secured to the pillion seat with QL straps.

My trips are typically 250 miles, but longer outings can last a week and take in 1250 miles. Based in England, I regularly go to Scotland and occasional trips to Italy. Even managed a week with full camping gear on board.

The camera and bike are a fantastic combination: Economical transport with petrol at $6 per imperial gallon B 50 mpg. Interesting and often exciting travel between locations. Biking makes up for the photo days that are non-productive. Easy parking anywhere. Fast travel overcoming busy roads and holiday traffic.

I returned to biking at 45, after 20 years absence, and worried about all the usual fears of safety. Whilst the risks are real, due respect should keep you safe and open up a fantastic combination. If you want it, go for it.

Gaz Rowlands (Weekly digest)