Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles and large format photography...

Motorcycles and large format photography...

Has anybody used a motorcycle to haul their large-format gear around? I do a lot of landscape photography in the deserts within a 150-mile radius of Phoenix and have been thinking about buying something that is better suited to driving on u nimproved roads than my present Audi 200. Although it has AWD, which is useful, it also has very limited ground clearance and frankly, is too nice to beat up a ny further.

I've been thinking of something along the lines of a cheap Blazer or Bronco but now I'm wondering if a bike might not be a better, not to mention cheaper, alter native. Obviously, my ability to haul gear is going to be limited with a bike b ut I think I can live with that ... my real question is whether it can stand up to the additional stress that it will be subject to on a bike -- vibration, bump s, etc. -- as compared to riding in the back of a Blazer, Bronco or what have yo u.

As for my qualifications, I started riding/racing motorcycles when I was 11 and although I haven't owned one for 20 years, I'm reasonably confident that it will all come back to me quickly.

Any thoughts/experiences about this would be helpful ... thanks!

I remeber reading an article in shutterbug a few years ago about lens care. the author had to have elements and/or groups recemented together because of the vibrations from extened motorbike travels. i dont know what type of lenses or what format but something to consider. the authors solution was to tell the tech who was cementing the lenses his problem and the tech used a stronger cement (or glue or adhensive or sticky goo used to hold things together).-J

Try Steve Nickols in Adelaide. www.chariot.net.au/~gl1500

I played in my mind with the same idea coming to the conclusion that an all terrain small vehicle such as made by I think, John Deere, and Yamaha would be more practical. As some one suggested, vibration will be also an issue. Packing lenses in polyester foam, the dark grey stuff used for electronics packaging might solve this other problem.

Go for it! I think it's by far the best way to travel in the back country. Less impact on the land, more maneuverable, quicker and more stealthy. I've seen the big Pelican cases mounted on the backs of bikes here in New York. New York streets are very much like travelling off road! The Pelican will absorb shock and is weatherproof, plus it will float if you drop it off your boat later on.

Downsides would be that there is no escape from the weather, which is when a lot of good shots happen. And you would lose the handy car/workbenck in leu of the ground.

I've travelled alot with Leica's and a Makina on a bike. No problems. I have an old Trans Alp (600 v-twin DP). Twins will be smoother than singles, less vibration, more cargo area, but heavier machines.

You always have the car for rainy days. Go Ride!

You didn't say how old you are but If you haven't been riding for 20 years I guess you're like me-- middle aged (I'm 55). I'm sure motorcycling will come back to you, but will you come back to motorcycling? IT'S DANGEROUS! Your reflexes and riding abilities won't be what they were 20 years ago. I started riding at 14, stropped at 39 after a heavy crash that I walked away from. But I decided that I'd never be that lucky again.

Actually, I'm only 41 and in pretty decent shape. I used to race motocross and other off-road stuff when I was a lot younger but sort of lost interest in it after I went off to college and didn't have any place to keep my dirt bike (a Penton, in case you're curious) on campus. That I totalled my father's Honda 750 into the front of a car while on my way home from a summer job between my freshman and sophomore years -- it wasn't my fault, of course -- only served to diminish my enthusiasm for riding bikes even further...

I did take my neighbor's BMW 1150 GS -- or whatever their on/off road bike is called -- for a ride this afternoon and while it was a lot bigger than anything I'd ever ridden before, I was popping wheelies after 20 minutes so it appears that I haven't forgotten _everything_ I learned. ;^)

Still, now that I'm a family man with a wife, two kids, two dogs, five cars and a mortgage payment, the possibility I might seriously injure myself while riding a bike definitely does concern me. The convenience of getting to and from my favorite shooting locations in half the time is awfully attractive, though, and probably means I'd be out shooting much more often than I am now, which I view as a BIG plus.

Anyway, your point is duly noted and thanks for reminding me about the potential downside...

Why not carry your camera gear in a backpack. When you use your legs to absorb the shock of the terrain you'll be saving your gear. Look into the BMW F650GS, it's about 100 pounds lighter than the 1150GS and costs about $5,000 less. Other alternatives are the Kawasaki 650 dual sport because of its large tank, and the Honda and Suzuki 650 dual sport models. The BMW has the advantage of factory hard saddlebags and optional ABS. But, it is heavier and more expensive than the Japanse competion. It's also a better street bike. You makes your choice and you pays your money.

I too returned to motorcycling after a prolonged absence. I'm 45, and now have a garage full of street and dirt bikes. I strongly recommend you take a training course. I don't care how good you are, you don't know everything and a professional instructor can teach you things you'd never think of on your own. I'm taking a Keith Code course this weekend, and have two more training course scheduled in the next month. This after 20 years and more than 200,000 miles of street riding. Besides, getting on a race track is fun.

I bought a special camera bag/tank bag for my Hasselblad. Aerostitch carries it. You might be able to get a 4x5 camera in it, but consider the backpack idea too. My 1993 BMW R100R's saddelbags are the perfect width for strapping my tripod case to. The hard bags on the F650GS would serve the same purpose, and give you room for extra clothing, food, and water.

The naysayers have a point when they say motorcycles are dangerous. But then, life is 100 percent fatal. I'd rather ride motorcycles than sit around getting fatter and dying of boredom. You don't need to justify it, just do it.

I do a combo car/mountain bicycle approach. I drive as close as I easily can with my car, then pull the bike off the rack and load equipment into some bike camping saddle bags. The tripod gets bunge corded to the rack. I used to live in the desert so I know this isn't the solution for covering vast areas in the outback, but it works for a surprizing number of locations. I find that most of the places I want to get to I spot from the highway, so they are well within the range of a bicycle.

any of the later model 4-strokes shouldn't shake you too bad... lots of nice aftermarket racks and luggage for tender gear too...

Husaberg rocks...

oh, if you're planning on getting in and around narrow/rough spots try something in the 250 to 400 cc range... those gargantuan twins are the only way to go for cross country and long distance dual sporting but it sounds like you are need something closer to a trials bike... think jeepCJ or d-90 versus a full size chevy blazer/suburban... one's good for the long haul the other's good for rock climbing... gonna hafta consider which you want....

want to make a (mx) 4 stroke street legal?