Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Update on LF Info Book Project

Re: Update on LF Info Book Project

I haven't been following this thread but just stumbled back... that ViVo is news to me but it sounds great, it would be a little more expensive but not ridiculously so... hmm I will read up on it.

The newer thread, for the "Second Call" is where you guys ought to go...

Hello Frank,

Just a quick note: in my search through many of the on-demand publishers, and after reviewing several printed examples from other photographers, I had chosen VioVio.com as the place to get my mail-out portfolios printed. You can do better quality than what they are capable, though it will cost much more. I am not so thrilled about their template driven bookbuilder, though when you handle your own PDF creation you get more control over results.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Paul Cocklin

Not to knock it, and I've really only glanced at the viovio website, but according to their promo stuff, a 200 page book would be around $140 a copy. Is my math off, or am I looking at the wrong product?

There are many choices at VioVio, just by looking at their Specifications. You could certainly get one that expensive, though there are also many lower cost choices. If you want very high quality, and not so much worried about prices, I would suggest using GraphiStudio instead of VioVio. If a one off portfolio, then go with GraphiStudio.

I would suggest soft cover instead of hard cover books, at least for 200 pages. That would help the cost a bit. You also have to look at the sizes at VioVio. I will be going with their 14" by 11" Portfolio choice, though I will have few pages, so the wire bound binding will work okay; I would not use that choice on a many pages book.

Disclaimer: I have no working connection with any of these companies. All of them have also screwed up orders, in other words none are perfect. Shop carefully, view an actual printed sample prior to committing to any company, and choose your options carefully for the level of price to quality you want.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Last edited by Gordon Moat; 2-Oct-2007 at 00:05. Reason: URL

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I haven't been following this thread but just stumbled back... that ViVo is news to me but it sounds great, it would be a little more expensive but not ridiculously so... hmm I will read up on it.

The newer thread, for the "Second Call" is where you guys ought to go...
    Frank,

Just a small remark: Should you (or whoever) decide to go for viovio (which at first sight leaves quite a good impression to me), it might make sense to investigate how to embed bw photos into the PDF (and wether this has an influence at all). They recommend to use greyscale to get "pure" bw and to avoid color casts, but I dunno if this works also with PDFs.

Also, having noticed that the lulu book has sold over 50 times being in a pre-prerelease state, it might make sense to poll for an approximate figure of the total number of books required. imho this might easily reach 200, which might put us in reachable range of a chinese book production (however, without an easy possibility to get additional books once they are sold, and with additional issues and risks etc.).

Best regards, Remigius.

In addition to the cost, tne problem with getting it printed in a conventional press run is that I really don't want to become a book distributor and have to mail 200 or more books out...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    In addition to the cost, tne problem with getting it printed in a conventional press run is that I really don't want to become a book distributor and have to mail 200 or more books out...
    that's actually what I meant with "additional issues" (including financing the whole thing and collecting the money from each of the recipients of the book) - "risks" was the potential quality issues with chinese printing.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Hi Frank,

You have one photo from me and I would like to add one more, unfortunately, my mom is here and I can't finish developing it until she is gone, whcih is Monday the 15th. I know, no special exceptions, but Would you be able to accept one from me let's say couple days later?

Thanks.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca