Thread: Swapping shutters.

Swapping shutters.

The shutter on my 90mm broke and I'm thinking of temporarily swapping it for the shutter on my 72mm, which I don't use much. I hang my head in shame, but could someone tell me how much to adjust exposure by if I keep the 72mm aperture scale as is?

Re: Swapping shutters.

All other things being equal, the 90mm should need "about" 1.5 times as much light in the 72mm lens's shutter.

f/8 on a 72mm lens corresponds to a 9mm diameter aperture. The area of that opening is 63.6mm. f/8 for the 90mm corresponds to an 11.25mm diameter aperture with an area of 99.4mm. 99.4/63.6 is "around" 1.5.

f/4 on the 72mm is an 18mm diameter and a 254mm area. f/4 on the 90mm requires a 22.5mm diameter with an area of 397mm. And 397/254 is "around" 1.5.

f/16 on the 72mm is a 4.5mm diameter aperture with a 15.9mm area. The 90mm lens needs a 5.6mm diameter with an area of 24.8mm. 24.8/15.9 is "around" 1.5.

the above disregards the "apparent size" issue. Easiest way is to stick on a piece of label material, calculate the required apertures, close the iris til you get the size, measured held at about arms length (with a caliper) and make a mark on the label, once you have all the marks, label them and go shooting. Sounds harder than it is, really, takes me about 10 mins to label one temporarily.

erie

Why not swap scales while you're at it? Assuming that the shutters are identical models of course.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

open 1/2 stop. Fix the other shutter.

Thanks, guys. I'd guessed 1/3 stop difference so I was close.

"Why not swap scales while you're at it?"

Because I've already managed to break one shutter and don't need to break two

I did that for a long while with an 203 7.7 Ektar mounted in a shutter marked f4.5. I took the easy way out. Just did a film test with that lens and used a different film speed so that the aperture scale "read" the way I was used to. Can't really predict DOF that way, but I never learned how to do that anyway. That's what the ground glass is for.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!