Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shall I take my 4x5 to San Francisco?

Shall I take my 4x5 to San Francisco?

Hi all,

I'mg travelling to San Francisco on vacation for 10 days from Sept. 8 and need some general advice as this will be my first time to this city (and only my second time to the US (I'm from Australia)).

I was planning on shooting some street photography with my Mamiya 7 but just wondered what 4x5 opportunities there might be in and around the city. I may not be hiring a car (driving on the other side of the road is not something I need to learn in 10 days!!) but I hear the city itself is very user friendly in terms of public transport.

In addition, Yosemite valley is not that far (well, not in Aussie distances, anyway!!) ...I hear that coaches can take you there in the morning and will pickup in the evening. Would a day trip be worthwhile? Probably too early for the autumn colours?

Any advice re: photography in and around the city? (Please note I am extremely 'green' re: 4x5 photography. I have had my camera for less than a week!).

Thanks in advance.

Re: Shall I take my 4x5 to San Francisco?

There are probably more LF photographers per square mile in the San Francisco area than anywhere else in North America. So you would be among friends.

There are a lot of really fabulous LF subjects in the San Francisco area - Golden Gate Park, the old coastal fortifications at Marin Headlands, Point Lobos State Park, Muir Woods, etc. But many of the best LF subjects are some distance from San Francisco, and getting there by public transportation could be challenging. And Yosemite is a serious hike from San Francisco - you would probably need to dedicate two full days, and also take particular care to arrange for lodging (there are limited choices, especially "in season").

I understand the concern about learning to drive on the wrong side of the road, especially given the frantic traffic in the San Francisco area. But having a care certainly makes it much easier to get to some of the outlying areas.

Niubi,

Your Mamiya 7 is a good plan for street photography in "the city" as we bay area locals refer to it. As for Yosemite, I feel you should allow for at least two nights there just to get a feel for it. Two nights gives you really only one solid sunrise to sunset cycle. If you don't have time to scout ahead and plan, I would use the Mamiya in Yosemite. I have been to Yosemite in every season and every condition, yet I can't imagine taking a view camera shot during a rushed motor coach trip.

If your available time is short, you might enjoy a side trip to the Carmel area more than trying to do Yosemite. Point Lobos is Edward Weston's arena, and is as challenging today for photography as it was in Edwards time. When I photograph down in that area, I stay at the "Carmel River Inn" which has reasonably price cottages for rent, many with kitchenettes which cut down the feeding bill. Point Lobos opens at 8:00 am and is just down the road from Carmel. Traffic here will not be as intimidating as in San Francisco.

We welcome your visit with us in the Bay Area.

Yosemite is about 4 hours from SF. Definately worth going for the view, even if you don't shoot. Lots to shoot in SF as well.

There's a publication called Photograph America that has an issue devoted to things to photograph on a hiking tour of San Francisco (it isn't just "places to photograph in San Francisco," it guides you on a hike of some miles starting around the Golden Gate bridge and talks about various places to photograph along the way). You can order single issues for about $10 I think. My back issues were lost in a recent move so I can't give you the directions for the hike or the places it mentions but it would be ideal for you if you don't have a car. Google on "Photograph America" and you should find the web site, if not send me a PM and I'll find an address or perhaps someone else here can provide it.

As others have said, there's plenty of places in SF that are suited for LF photography (and many that will be better suited for your Mamiya). So it's certainly worth taking as long as you don't plan for it to be your only camera. Since you say you're a "green" LF photographer, having only had your camera for a week, I think it would be a mistake to make it your only camera on a trip like this but it doesn't sound like that's what you have in mind.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Scott Davis

There is SOOOO much in San Francisco the city and its immediate environs worth shooting with ANY camera. I'd second the "don't make 4x5 your only camera" if you are still really new to it. But definitely bring it and keep it with you as much as possible, because you'll want to break it out all the time. Especially when you're walking the street and see something cool on a 2nd story of a building- a sign, a shop window, etc. Especially since San Francisco is full of hills, and buildings are built up the contours of those hills. You'll often want the perspective correction.

First, I think the Mamiya 7 is a traveller's dream camera. If you brought it and nothing else, I'm sure you would have no regrets.

You definitely do not need to hire a car. Driving in the city is a nightmare. The public transit in the city is as good as it gets in this country. Besides, the city is very walkable - just be very, very careful when crossing streets.

Keep an open mind and enjoy yourself.

One fun thing to do with your Mamiya---at least once a year I take an annual predawn hike from old Crissy Field (now monickered as "Presidio Green" but it will always be Crissy Field" to me,) to Justin Herman Plaza in front of the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. I start out while well before sunrise. Catch the moon and lights reflecting on the bay at Ft. Mason, grab a coffee at the Safeway to warm you against thew chill of the bay. Watch the sky turn a steel gray over Sts Peter and Paul and Coit Tower as the shapes of the buildings emerge from the darkness on Columbus Avenue and Upper Grant St. See the grocers and shopkeepers in Chinatown greet the trucks and exotic produce is unloaded and arrainged for sale. Eventually you'll hit Market Street--a broad avenue void of traffic (really wierd twilight zone) at that hour and if its Saturday the farmer's market at the Ferry Buildong will just be starting to stir. Get a cup of coffee and maybe a breakfast burrito as a reward and watch as the traffic on the Bay Bridge begins to "sizzle"
    Cheap thrills in an expensive city---priceless images whether you capture them on film or in your memory.
    Have a great trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Post Re: Shall I take my 4x5 to San Francisco?

As indicated above, there's loads of stuff to keep a photographer busy in the San Francisco Bay area. I've shot my 4X5 plenty of times in the city, and found it very friendly to LF photography. However, since you've indicated that you just got your LF camera, I would recomend sticking with the Mamiya. It takes a number of practice sessions to start to feel comfortable using LF, and up to several years (or more) to master it, so you it would be very frustrating to be trying to learn LF for the first time on your vacation- you'd miss a lot of shots. The Mamiya may also be better for photographing street scenes with peeple and moving objects.

I would not recommend doing a day trip to Yosemite- you'd be in the car a lot more than the park. I remember hearing about a day trip there offered to participants at a biomedical convention held in the SF convention center. It left at 7 am for Yosemite, arriving back in the city at 8 pm. Those in attendance got to drive through the valley, get out for a few minutes, and have lunch before heading back. Yosemite is not a place you can see in a day, let alone an hour or two! In addition, it will still be pretty crowded there with the summer crowds during September. You're much better of going for at least a few days in the fall, winter, or spring.

As far as specific things to shoot in SF, there's all kinds of architecture, bridges, parks, and city scenes. The Carmel/Point Lobos/Big Sur area is definately recommended, although if you can't make it that far, there's great coastal scenery in the Marin Headlands and Point Reyes seashore just north of the city and the San Mateo county coast just south of the city (including several lighthouses). If you want to see redwoods, try Muir Woods north of the city or especially Big Basin south of the city. Good luck!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Having lived in and photographed all around SF for over 11 years now, I would recommend renting (hiring) a car, if you would rather spend your time taking pictures versus waiting/riding a bus, train, ferry, etc. You can get around a lot faster/efficiently with a car especially when most interesting locations are not serviced by a bus stop. The only situation that I would not recommend a car is if your only interest is street photography and with a 4x5 this is probably not the case. I recently spent 3 weeks in Australia/New Zealand for the first time and rented a car the whole time. Learning to drive on the "wrong" side is not a big hurdle. Although New Zealand was a little tricky, driving along for sometime without see anyone and then suddenly having to remember which side to be on. You should not have this problem around here, it's rotten with people.

I would not want to be in Yosemite with out a car. Forget the valley floor unless you want to be a real tourist and see the household names. Drive Tioga Pass and camp in Tuolumne Meadows or somewhere near Mono Lake and drive back the next day. No bus in going to pull over and let you setup when you most desperately want to. The week days will be much less crowded that the weekends. A lot of people live in California and they all seem to want to be in Yosemite on the weekends.

If you have any specific interests, I would be happy to make some recommendations.