Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss 8x10 F Line compact....how do I carry this POS?

Arca Swiss 8x10 F Line compact....how do I carry this POS?

Well, I got the camera but it is not as compact as the name implies and then the rail design is so bad I cannot beleive these guys are so dumb! So now I am stuck with a camera with dimensions 17.5x14x10.5 inches.... any ideas?

Re: Arca Swiss 8x10 F Line compact....how do I carry this POS?

Check out the thread that was posted earlier this month discussing the rail choices in the Arca Swiss System.

Do a search for "Arca Swiss Rail Choices"

The telescoping rail is the way you want to go.

Here's what a lot of people have been using lately. The gas mileage isn't so great, but you feel really safe, like you're ready for any situation. I haven't tried it, but it will probably support up to 11x14. If he were around today, I am sure that Ansel would drive one of these babies.

Just curious, Jorge: you had a nice 8x10: why did you sell it and get a monorail? Also, are you out of the range of this hurricane? I hope it stays away from you!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Thanks Sheldon for the tip, I guess I am going to have to get the telescoping rail, what a PITA! For the amount of money they charge for these cameras, the rail design is definitly stupid. All they had to do was make the rail fold to the side instead in 3 parts instead of two and the problem would have been solved. You would be able to keep the tripod base on the rail and it would have been a very compact package. I am going to ask Jeff for the AS e mail address and send them a piece of my mind...what a dumb rail system they came up with.

Ken,

Actually you would be susprised how light this camera is. I had a light field camera but this camera is one ounce lighter....go figure!

Mike,

the Gandolfi had some things I did not like and when I used 4x5 I loved my Linhof technikardan. I thought the AS was a good choice for a monorail that can be used in the field. If I can solve the rail problem it might be a great choice, otherwise it will be a great idea on paper that got f****** in execution....

The folding rail just has nothing going for it. I have 5 Arcas and have the telescoping rail on all of them. My 8x10 drops flat into a Tamrac pack and I only carry 2 lenses, a 300 and a 450. My 8x10 kit is lighter than my 4x5..EC

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    The folding rail just has nothing going for it. I have 5 Arcas and have the telescoping rail on all of them. My 8x10 drops flat into a Tamrac pack and I only carry 2 lenses, a 300 and a 450. My 8x10 kit is lighter than my 4x5..EC
    Where do you get the telescoping rail? I was thinking of getting the 15 cm rail extension and keep the camera on it and just add the folding rail once it is on the tripod. I agree the folding rail is dumb, if they had if folding to the side instead of down it would be perfect....ah well, live and learn.

Try Rod Kuklas at Photomark, he should have something in stock.

www.photomark.com

I'd go with a 30cm extension bracket II, a 15cm rail segment, and a 30cm rail segment. That should allo use of lenses as long as 600mm at infinity but still stay light/compact. The camera would live on the 15cm rail segment and the 30cm rail segment would stay on the extension bracket, sliding out when you set up to shoot.

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post
    I'd go with a 30cm extension bracket II, a 15cm rail segment, and a 30cm rail segment.
    What Sheldon said. I had a custom bag made for my Arca 8x10 (mounted on the 15cm rail) with mostly good results. I only hesitate to make a strong recommendation here because I wasn't entirely happy with the finished product, but have learned to work around the bag's design flaws.

In all fairness, the manufacturer got it mostly right. It was his first run at that type of bag, and there's a chance he may have improved the design even though my after-the-fact suggestions weren't well-received at the time. I don't mean to be coy about revealing the manufacturers name, but I'd rather qualify my "recommendation" privately so as to do no harm. If you'd like more specific info, please PM me.

What a bummer. I would call Rod Klukas at Photomark as well. He will give you the best advice.