Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craig's List WOW!

Craig's List WOW!

I've been looking for a tenor sax for a friend, and while perusing Craig's List I routinely see what type of photo stuff is up for grabs there. Not so much in the smaller towns, but in larger cities I've noticed dark room stuff like enlargers & presses seem to be going for a song if you dance over to pick up the stuff. It sort of reminds me of the bounty of stuff that was on the market when the commercial studios went to digital. Hey, I'm looking at D-2V loaded with lots of goodies for $40 and Seal 160 presses for $100. Not too shabby at all. I'm sure many of you already know about Craig's List but I thought I'd bring it up. The prices seem to be better than on eBAy for the kinds of items listed (so far nothing in LF cameras or lenses though.)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Craig's List WOW!

It's kind of the opposite here in Los Angeles, for the most part. The prices people are asking are pretty steep. I have lucked out a couple times though.

I listed a 40mm Hasselblad lens on Craigslist. Within an hour, I had numerous emails from scammers who were out of the country and one went as far as sending me a "fake" paypal payment.

Never again.

ha - well I just took a look.

If anyone's in Edmonton, there are two decent 4x5 enlargers up....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I check it out sometimes. Seems there are always plenty of enlargers for sale, but I am a contact printer.

Terence

It can be a gold mine or a disaster. I've gotten some great stuff from it though. Two bulk rolls of Tech Pan, a Gitzo low-profile tripod head, Jobo CPE-2 for $100 . . .

I have obtained some fantastic deals on Craigslist - free large print washers, free 8x10 enlarger etc. These are the folks who just wanted the stuff to be gone and were willing to give it to anyone who could haul it away.

However, because listing is for free on Craigslist, I think it also tends to attract the folks who have an unrealistic/emotional idea of the value of their old enlarger or whatever.

Here in LA, I picked up a mint Sekonic L-608 for $190 via CraigsList, a mint Polaroid 545i for $50 and countless photography books for a song...and a few boxes of readyloads (in date) for $9 each!

Oh, I almost forgot...an RZ Pro II system...and when I finished selling the lenses I didn't need and bought the ones I did, I ended up getting the system for free plus made $200 on the deal.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

People sometimes go to craigslist when they just want something gone ... don't want the hassles of ebay, packing, shipping, etc... Can work out great if you're lucky enough to need what they're giving up.

I got Durst 138S in Toronto, not free but for very reasonable money.