Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zion NP - Advice Sought

Zion NP - Advice Sought

For those who have had the pleasure of visiting Zion, I was hoping I might get some feedback on a couple of items:

(a) Best filters at this elevation, considering Velvia 50, 100, and Kodak E100 will be my key emulsions. I figure warming filters will be essential, and have a good stock of 81A/B, but no 81C or 81EF or 812. Are these stronger filters required?
    (b) Pro labs in the area that will process E6. I will be flying from Montreal (Canada) so will be shipping my film ahead and hopefully will be able to get it processed before returning (saves a lot of hassles with security regarding hand inspection)

Cheers,
    Jeff

Re: Zion NP - Advice Sought

I only use warming filters with Provia and maybe Astia in Zion.

I don't think there are any E-6 labs left in Las Vegas or Southern Utah.

All my 4x5 E-6 gets mailed to Calyso Imaging in Santa Cruz, CA http://www.calypsoinc.com/

I live in Las Vegas if you need a shipping address here. I'll be in Zion Aug 22nd and 23rd and again Sept 12th and 13th if you want to meet. I'm originally from Ontario and Banff before moving south.

You'll love Zion no matter what.

The 812 rocks in Zion
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

If you're shooting in the early or late hours, using much more than a 81a wasn't needed for me with rvp 50 since the rocks and reflected light is so warm/red already.

Thanks Jack,

I'll get an 812 for my next trip.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0095w1

A side note on the Tiffen 812 for those that aren't aware of it. I believe it is an 81A with 5cc red added, so about the same net effect as an 81B only a touch more red pop than the yellow 81B. I found it worked so well for most things in nature from sea level to 7000 feet elevation, I stopped carrying my 81's. I still needed an 81C for 7K to 9K feet and an 81 EF for over 9K feet elevation. The only exception where I found I did not prefer the 812 was for human skin, where the reddish cast made most skin look a tad too ruddy.

Of course if you scan, which I do now, you can add these corrections in after the fact and don't really need to bother with correction filters at all any more.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

You may wish to consider getting a warm polarizing filter. Additionally, you may find graduated ND filters of use as well. These are available in hard and soft gradations as well as 1, 2, and 3 stop versions.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Doug Dolde

I do all my filtering in Photoshop with the exception of ND grads and a polarizer. I use Photokit for warming/cooling and dodge/burn. An exceptional piece of add on software.

Cheers for the feedback everyone. I will try to source the 812 in a 105mm thread (my largest filter thread). Dave, I am most embarrassed as when I chased your link I was one of the responders to the question. I completely forgot about that P.net thread as it was so long ago. Back then I was into the Singh Ray Polarizing Color Intensifier filter which I now think was OTT. Having said that, the Singh Ray Warm Tone Circular Polarizer gets top marks. Problem is availability in thread mounts greater than 82mm. I've got a B+W WT-Polarizer (KR 1.5) I was able to source from Badger and I'm hoping the performance is comparable to that of the Singh Ray.

The Singh-Ray Warm Polarizer will not have as high a filter factor (loses much less light) as the B & W. If you can use 82mm as your largest filter size, you may be able to use the Cokin P holder which would allow you to use the Singh-Ray Lighter Brighter Warm Polarizer with the sprockets (Cokin P size); this filter can be turned in the Cokin P holder.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com