Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wista 45SP folding with 90/6.8 Angulon + 135/5.6 Sironar-S + 240/9 Fujinon A

Re: Wista 45SP folding with 90/6.8 Angulon + 135/5.6 Sironar-S + 240/9 Fujinon A

Just got an idea....since I do have six large and very good Symmar and Sironal lenses in the range 90-300mm for my Sinar I could just move some of them to Wista boards....they have no shutters, but shooting ISO 100 and F22-32 or whatever theres not much use of the shutter anyway....this way I have three small lenses withy shutters and that fold into the 45SP (maby not the 250mm) and then I can bring the big super lenses when I have need for that (movements etc)..... /PM

Re: Wista 45SP folding with 90/6.8 Angulon + 135/5.6 Sironar-S + 240/9 Fujinon A

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I have to agree with Bob on this one. The 90mm angulon is near worthless except straight on. If shooting the landscape, the first thing you're going to want to do is give a little front tilt and the little angulon will just not cover....it's small and less expensive but so what if you cannot use it?
    I woke up last night thinking what does tilt have to do with coverage. Admittedly my knowledge is book learning only with very little practical experience, so I am looking for insight and education here..I thought coverage had to do with moving the film around the cast image of the lens, by back movements or, relatively, by front movements up down and side to side.
    And that the tilt of the lens moved the plane of focus but not the image.
    Can some one enlarge on this.
    Regards
    Bill
    Last edited by cowanw; 21-Aug-2007 at 10:49. Reason: spelling

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Think of "coverage" as a cone extending back from the lens. The point is in the lens, and the film at the wide end.

If you move the tip of the cone around, the rest of it has to follow. So moving the lens or the film has the same effect - as long as you don't tilt any of them. If you tilt the lens you also tilt the whole cone. Tilt the lens down a little, and the rear of the cone moves upwards.

On the other hand I often find that if I'm using front tilt (with a wide-angle lens) to bring the foreground into focus, I want more foreground. So a forward tilt and a slight front drop brings the cone of coverage neatly back on the film area.

OK, now have all the lenses here. The Sironar-N 135mmm was great and fold into the SP with caps no problem. The Angulon 90mm folds nicely too, but I got a bad lens with separation and bad shutter from ebay so I need to send it back (the seller has agreed, and has 99% reputation on 2200 deals, so I guess I can hope he really refunds me....via paypal or how does it work??.....any commenst on this? would you risk send it or just try to fix it?). The Fujinon 240mm almost folds without lenscaps, its so close it would be easy just to remove some metal from the rail and get it to work I think....but for now it folds nicely with caps if turned backwards. Hmmm....will have to get another 90mm from ebay now.....or.....

The 90mm could use a recessed board for easier movements (plus a wide angle bellows), but it works without too.

The 240mm could use a bit of bellows/rail extension, it can now focus on 1.1m no closer.

/PM

While you can buy a Wista extension bed and bellows if you only need a little more extension you could save a lot of weight and money by just mounting the 240 on the Wista exttended lensboard set.

[ If you tilt the lens you also tilt the whole cone. Tilt the lens down a little, and the rear of the cone moves upwards.

So It does. Live and learn every day! I set up my 90mm and paid attention to that and it does move about 2mm through the range of tilt that my linhof has to offer.
    My 90mm is a leitmeyer, not even as quality a lens as an angulon.
    Does the Angulon 90 not even have enough coverage for tilt? the Schneider site suggests that the angulon 90 has about 10mm of movement at 9X12
    Regards
    Bill