Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What slide format will survive the digital age

Re: What slide format will survive the digital age

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    However, it does seem to me from the work I have seen that digital SLR clearly beats the best 35mm, and easily.
    I have not found that to be true. But, opinions are like ....

However, it does seem to me from the work I have seen that digital SLR clearly beats the best 35mm, and easily.

Sandy King
    Sorry, Sandy,

I have to agree with Robert, because I disagree with this statement...in fact, several of my commercial clients are again, asking for slides over digital files again..

Dave

Dave,

You and Robert are certainly entitled to your opinions, and as Robert suggests, everybody has one.

However, my opinion, which is based on my own experience and the result of numerous comparisons made by others, many published, is that digital SLR of 12 mp and more clearly beats the very best 35mm in most, if not all, of the areas that define image quality. I don't say that because I prefer digital capture, which I clearly do not, but because for me it is simply a fact certain.

Sandy King

However, my opinion, which is based on my own experience and the result of numerous comparisons made by others, many published, is that digital SLR of 12 mp and more clearly beats the very best 35mm in most, if not all, of the areas that define image quality. I don't say that because I prefer digital capture, which I clearly do not, but because for me it is simply a fact certain.
    Yes, I too have read most of the comparisons, and most are simply anecdotal at best. None I have read has any scientific basis, and are only valid for the setup being tested.

Quote Originally Posted by esbtse View Post
    Do you use any other system than LF?
    Only Minox, 110, 35mm, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 9x12, 4x5, and 5x7. Haven't shot a color tranny in any of them in this century, and hope to never do it again.
    PS,Except for Kodachrome, I've always done my own color darkroom, including
    Dye Transfer --- can you say the same?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Dave,

You and Robert are certainly entitled to your opinions, and as Robert suggests, everybody has one.

Sandy King
    Sandy,

You are entitled to yours as well, I base on opinions on what puts money in the bank, and at this present time, 35mm slides are again putting the majority of the money in my bank when it comes to my customers, so that is fine, I will shoot, what the client wants and laugh all the way to the bank. And Yes, I do have digital cameras, not point and shoots, but full blown systems, and I am selling 10 slides for every frame I take with digital.

Might be a difference in market, but I go where the money is..

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Sandy,

You are entitled to yours as well, I base on opinions on what puts money in the bank, and at this present time, 35mm slides are again putting the majority of the money in my bank when it comes to my customers, so that is fine, I will shoot, what the client wants and laugh all the way to the bank. And Yes, I do have digital cameras, not point and shoots, but full blown systems, and I am selling 10 slides for every frame I take with digital.

Might be a difference in market, but I go where the money is..

Dave
    Dave,

My perspective has nothing to do with money or what clients want, but plain and simple final print quality. If your clients want 35mm slides and you can provide them, so much the better for you. However, how many slides you sell to every frame of digital is not relevant to any argument I am making.

Sandy

Dave,

My perspective has nothing to do with money or what clients want, but plain and simple final print quality. If your clients want 35mm slides and you can provide them, so much the better for you. However, how many slides you sell to every frame of digital is not relevant to any argument I am making.

Sandy

Well to me it does, so be it, I don't shoot for pleasure, I shoot to put food on the table, and I have done several shoots using both digital as well as film side by side and the clients are picking the film..pure quality, perfection is not what always makes the best picture, we all know with digital, that we can duplicate things over and over. But I still, in my opinion don't agree that digital beats 35mm and unless things change in the future, won't..My clients are picking the print quality of film over the digital print quality...

We are at an impasse, and won't agree with each other. so that is the way it is.

This once again, has become one of those stupid "digital vs. film" threads, and is not worth the breath it takes to say it..or the time it takes to type it, You have your opinion, I have mine...and we have both expressed them.

Night Sandy, on to another day.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Night Sandy, on to another day.

Dave

Night Dave.

Sweet dreams!!

Wish I was there in Montana now. Heat in South Carolina is over the top.

Sandy

Night Dave.

Sweet dreams!!

Wish I was there in Montana now. Heat in South Carolina is over the top.

Sandy
    Personally, I would love to see both you guys in Hawaii!! It is a nice and balmy 81°, with a nice tradewind blowing (keeps the humidity down).