Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What slide format will survive the digital age

What slide format will survive the digital age

I usually use slides and I’m using 135 Nikon cameras as F3HP and F4E.
    I have just stared using a 4*5" Camera but what slide format will survive? Maybe the 120?

I do not have a DSLR yet, because of the price tag for the Nikon D2X/D3X is to steep for my income. But the D2X is now affordably as a second hand. Shall I wait for the D3X to get affordably and continue using slides or can I get by using the D2X for landscapes photo?

Re: What slide format will survive the digital age

It is likely that 35mm film will survive for quite a while, but overall sales of slide films in all formats is decreasing at an alarming rate due to digital. OTOH, negative film sales are not decreasing as rapidly and in some cases are holding their own.

Ron Mowrey

Quite likely Kodachrome will disappear prior to any other emulsion. However, Dwaynes is currently processing around 1000 rolls per day, so it seems that Kodak is still making profits from Kodachrome. So it might be a while before other transparency (slide) films disappear.

Fuji recently updated some of their transparency films, and Kodak did a similar change not very long ago. When new films are introduced, that means several years of products still available. Compare that to a professional working lifespan of maybe 36 months for a top line D-SLR, and you could safely skip a generation . . . if you wanted to do so.

Having used a D2X, I think it is a nice system camera. However nice the results, it is definitely trumped in all but convenience by 4x5 systems. It depends upon what your priorities might be in photography.

Anyone with knowledge of a successor to the D2X will likely be barred from commenting due to a Non-disclosure Agreement (NDA). Logically, you might expect a D3H or D3HS prior to any D3X (or whatever Nikon want to call it). Historically, the prices of top of the line Nikon D-SLRs has not altered much. These are low volume compared to their other camera offerings. Expect high demand on any Nikon D2X successor, then it might take a while before prices drop. While you are waiting, enjoy shooting some (slide) transparency film.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Fuji recently updated some of their transparency films, and Kodak did a similar change not very long ago.
    A G Studio
    That is good news.
    Having used a D2X, I think it is a nice system camera. However nice the results,
    Anyone with knowledge of a successor to the D2X will likely be barred from commenting due to a Non-disclosure Agreement (NDA). Logically, you might expect a D3H or D3HS prior to any D3X (or whatever Nikon want to call it). Historically, the prices of top of the line Nikon D-SLRs has not altered much. These are low volume compared to their other camera offerings. Expect high demand on any Nikon D2X successor, then it might take a while before prices drop. While you are waiting, enjoy shooting some (slide) transparency film.
    A G Studio
    The problem using D2x is the small view finder. I prefear a larger one when photografing in the nature, as in swamps, forest. My goal is to switch to LF for the pure landscape pictures.

My other problem is that I need a slide scanner.

Yes, if you have used an F3 or F4, then almost any D-SLR viewfinder will seem small, dark, and disappointing. I think you will become seduced by the large viewing screen of a 4x5 camera; the view and approach to composition will be very different.

If you want a smaller carry camera for landscape shots, you might look into the Mamiya 7 rangefinder. The price will be less than a D2X, and the results still better.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by esbtse View Post
    I usually use slides and I’m using 135 Nikon cameras as F3HP and F4E.
    I have just stared using a 4*5" Camera but what slide format will survive? Maybe the 120?

I do not have a DSLR yet, because of the price tag for the Nikon D2X/D3X is to steep for my income. But the D2X is now affordably as a second hand. Shall I wait for the D3X to get affordably and continue using slides or can I get by using the D2X for landscapes photo?

If you are happy with your current system, then you don't need to be in any hurry to buy a DSLR. As others have pointed out, there are several new transparency films, and companies like Fuji are still actively promoting it. I have both a D200 and an F5, and rarely use the D200 - I see no reason to. I can get better results out of the F5, loaded with Velvia.

I have no idea how long 35mm slide film will be around but if I were betting I wouldn't bet on it being 120. Medium format has taken a huge hit from digital, probably worse than even 35mm worldwide.

I stopped using my Nikon F4 about 14 years ago, when I realized how crappy prints bigger than 8x10 were, even using the best Nikon lenses. That caused a switch to a Pentax 67 system, then to 4x5 in combination with the Pentax about 12 years ago. I started using a Nikon D100 in there somewhere. I used it with the Nikon lenses I still had around from my F4 days and it was marginally better than 35mm - I made some pretty nice 11x14 prints with the D100 - but not as good as the Pentax or 4x5. Then I switched to Canon (5D) with Canon L lenses and that caused me to sell my Pentax system. The 5D with Canon L lenses produces results in prints up to about 13x17 that to me are at least as good as the Pentax and are very close to 4x5.

So if I were you I'd forget about your 35mm system, sell it while there's still some semblance of a market for 35mm (if there is, I haven't looked). Then buy the best digital camera you can afford. Just my opinion of course.

4x5 is a whole different deal, not just because of the quality of the photographs but because using it is so different from using a 35mm/digital/medium format system.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I shot almost nothing but 35mm slides for nearly 40 years. I can't think of any good reason to ever do it again.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Yes, if you have used an F3 or F4, then almost any D-SLR viewfinder will seem small, dark, and disappointing. I think you will become seduced by the large viewing screen of a 4x5 camera; the view and approach to composition will be very different.

If you want a smaller carry camera for landscape shots, you might look into the Mamiya 7 rangefinder. The price will be less than a D2X, and the results still better.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Hi,
    I’m stuck using the Nikon system because the large pile of equipment I own. Its to costly to change the system. I’m putting my money in the LF-field currently but I like to be able to use my old 135 system so maby I need to get a DSLR. But I going to check the Mamia 7. I hope the D3X have a larger view than the D2X.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I shot almost nothing but 35mm slides for nearly 40 years. I can't think of any good reason to ever do it again.
    Do you use any other system than LF?