Thread: QuickLoad - home processing tips?

QuickLoad - home processing tips?

I was about to develop my first attempt at using QuickLoads and realized there might be some tricks (or pitfalls to avoid) in removing the film from the envelope and the clip and in identifying the emulsion side (notches?)

I checked Fuji's site, the archives here and at photo.net and couldn't find any info.

Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: QuickLoad - home processing tips?

The film does have notches but you will have to snap off the plastic ends on each end of the film. Be careful about fingerprints as you handle it. It also has a handy hole in one corner for hanging the film to dry, paperclips would work fine twisted open a bit.

Well, the emulsion side should be easy to figure out from the film's position in the package. After that process any way you are comfortable doing so.

Surprisingly, in a recent poll, I admit it may not be very scientific, tray processing was the most popular method. Thee is a step by step description to my tray processing method in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

good luck

steve simmons

Steve, do folks leave the plastic tabs on when tray processing? Seems an excellent way to avoid marking the film.

No, take the tabs off, they may scratch the film.

I always did my film emulsion side down and scratched maybe two sheets in now 27 years of tray processing.

steve

There are two plastic strips attached to the film - a narrow one at the clip end:

And a large, trapezoidal-shaped one at the other end. Both can be easily removed from the film prior to processing. Even with cotton gloves, you can feel where they are joined to the film in the dark. Just slowly peel them away from the film, like this:

Although these images show the clip still attached, I now prefer to remove the clip first (insert thumbnail under clip near one end, and pull). After you've done it once, it will all be obvious, and you'll establish your own preferred method.

Baxter

I don't wear cotton gloves, but pull the clip and film out slightly from envelope. Then use a shearing action to break the glue and remove the metal clip. Holding edges of film across 4inch width between finger, I then slide film out. Using end of my nail, I determine where the next film/acetate join is as in Ralph's second picture and then apply the shearing action to isolate the film.

This is then orientated correctly for your chosen developing tank/tray. I've used both Combi-plan and more recently Jobo reels in an ATL processor.

Re: QuickLoad - home processing tips? - results/tips

Thanks for all the advice-- all good -- the pictures posted by Ralph were a big help. Got all the films into the daylight tank without incident (some fumbling - but no big mishaps.)

A couple more lessons learned:

1. The films are 4x5 -- I had reset the tank slides to take 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 thinking the "film area" depicted on the packet was the film size ... rookie mistake #1 ... got the tank slides reset in the bag o.k.

2. Keep the empty packets in the same order as the film in the tank -- important if you make exposure notes on the packets and want to match them up after developing ... I didn't ... rookie mistake #2 ... so now I'll be guessing when they come out of the dryer.

Tonight we'll see if I have any pictures ... hopefully without fingerprints from the fumbling.

Thanks again, Jim in Sacramento

One more thing learned ... this'll be rookie mistake #3:

3. When removing the metal clip at the end of the film, make sure you remove the thin, narrow plastic strip (visible in photo #1 above as the black stip between the clip and the film (running behind the notches) with it (or peel it off after removing the clip.) I pulled the clips straight off, leaving the plastic strip on the film. Doesn't harm anything but I kept wondering why I couldn't feel the notches ... and why I was having a little more difficulty loading the films (the thinner plastic strip makes the feel different when trying to find the slot in the tank.)

p.s. pictures turned out fine ... thanks again.

It might not be an issue but if you ever drop a sheet (D'Oh, and I've done it, ) holding the sheet vertically in your right hand with the notches at the bottom and away from your body (effectively if you spread your fingers round the edges of the film, it's the corner where you little finger falls) means the emulsion is on the left hand side of the sheet...

Might not seem easy to follow but I remember the orientation from loading Grafmatic holders and putting the notches where the gaps are in the septums...