Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Printing down a phone line...

Re: Printing down a phone line...

One could give the print rounded upper corners, like the prints of the 1800's -- or photograph with stacked polarizer and red filters to give a black sky.

Vaughn

Darkening the sky is an interesting idea, Vaughn. I live near this church; I need to go back with filters. And on a day with clouds.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

It will take some careful and painstaking work in Photoshop but it can be done. The church below had a similar tangle of phone and power lines. Took me a couple of hours to get rid of 'em. I left the one line linking the two chimneys since it shows on pictures from a century ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    It will take some careful and painstaking work in Photoshop but it can be done.
    Actually, I could invisibly remove Scott's upper left wire in about ten minutes with the Photoshop 5 LE that came with my scanner. Unfortunately, that's not much help with the contact prints Scott likes to make...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Oh Donald,
    It'd take about 30 sec in CS2 with the bandaid tool. (healing brush) and would be imperceptable, even at 1:1.

erie

Here's the photograph with the phone line eliminated in Photoshop. I timed it, it took 14 seconds.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

How exactly does one use a pencil to mark the negative? I bought the softest pencil I could find, and it didn't work at all - no mark at all.

Since you are talking about a contact frame I will assume you are using a big negative. If you want to keep the qualities of the negative without having to make a new "negative" from photoshop I would make a "mask" out of a transparent material same size as the negative in photoshop and then sandwich the negative with the mask. You can do this with darkroom technqiues but it becomes a bit cumbersome.

Instead of making the mask with a black line, use different colors, like blue or green (specially if you are using VC paper), make some tests and see which color blends the line with the sky. If you register the mask and the negative properly you should be able to remove the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    How exactly does one use a pencil to mark the negative? I bought the softest pencil I could find, and it didn't work at all - no mark at all.

I refer you to the Kodak Technical Publication E-71: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...71.jhtml#51554
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Should be easy to retouch out. If you're not good at it yourself, just send the negative to a good retoucher. Probably cost $10-25.
    In fact, I'm not sure that a black sharpie on the contact glass isn't the easiest way to fix it -- good idea, I'd never have even thought of it. Use a diffuser when printing that corner to smooth it out.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)