Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notable architecture photogs?

Re: Notable architecture photogs?

Stephen Rosenthal- I took a workshop from him in 1991, and learned a great deal.
    I have two worthwhile books books at home-so no author/publisher info- "Twelve Views" and "The American Architectural Photographer".
    The Ezra Stoller series of small books on individual buildings are marvelous- just too small. The monograph "Modern Architecture", by Saunders I think, is a great overview of Stoller's work.
    Cervin Robinson's "Cleveland, Ohio".
    The out of print books can likely be found at abebooks.com.

I have "Architecture and its Photography" by Julius Shulman. Great stuff. I love reading comments and techniques from Ezra Stoller as well...

Max

This probably doesn't qualify as strict architectural photography (rather more industrial archaeological photography), but I've always been fascinated by the work of Bernd and Hilla Becher (e.g., look at Zeche Hannibal, Industrial Landscapes, or Mineheads).
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Wow, you guys are going to keep me busy over the weekend! Thank you for all the responses. I think I'll just start at the beginning of the thread and work my way down.

My favorite is the work of Ezra Stoller. His book Modern Architecture Photographs by Ezra Stoller is really something. While it has some color work, it's primarily black and white.

Although their work is not always thought of as exclusively architectural, 19th century photographers such as Frederick Evans are extraordinary; his church interiors are extraordinary. I just saw a beautiful Roger Fenton shot of a church interior as well. Atget made his living as a sort of stock photographer, and sold many prints to architects. I love a lot of early 20th century people's industrial architecture stuff, mainly Weston, Charles Sheeler, and also quirkily Walker Evans. James Casebere's constructed spaces are interesting. All of these people offer meditations on the value of constructed spaces in one way or another, even if not always in the exclusive sense that is today meant by the term architectural photographer. I would think about what specifically you like about architectural photographs, and comb the history books looking for that. Have fun!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Josef Sudek's documentation of the reconstruction of the St. Vitus cathedral should count as "architectural".

This is a book on the subject I got a Borders a couple of months ago:
    "Architectural Photography - Inside and Out" by Jim Lowe, Photographers Institute Press. Most of the images are of the UK, the photographer is UK based. Great work, mostly LF.

Paul Strand, Time in New England. Architectural photography cannot be narrowed down to the photography of contemporary buildings. There is architecture, historic architecture, landscape architecture, interior architecture etc. and social context has always been an integral part of the genre just as social context is integral to architectural design in general. Architecture is designed for people. Artists like Polidori are at the leading edge of AP if you see AP in its larger context rather than as a narrow commercial enterprise.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"