Thread: Is Landscape, nature photo art?

Is Landscape, nature photo art?

The Nature, Landscape photo is considered a lesser photo compare to the conceptual art photo in Sweden. Because there is a deferens between capture the moment and constructing a scenario. An art degree is necessary to be able to use the formal art channels as art magazines and galleries. How is it in your country?

Re: Is Landscape, nature photo art?

Sorry to learn Sweden has such a limited view, in my humble opinion.

Who are we to judge 'lesser?' Instead I suggest people lighten up and celebrate all human self expression, instead of compartmentalize it.

It's also my humble opinion that people rely too much on 'art degrees' to tell them if the art is any good, instead of relying on their own personal opinion of the art on display.

I've seen an attitude about 'art pedigree' here in the US, but frankly, when you actually look at the 'masters' in museums, 99.9% of all great art collected was made by someone without a college degree.

Simply attending Yale Art School or any other prestigious University for a Master Degree doesn't make one an artist.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Opinions like that are always going in and out of fashion. If you look at the history of photography (or art in general), you'll see the pendulum swinging both ways. "Straight" photography in general is often seen as quaint and old fashioned compared with more constructed, staged, or conceptual kinds of image making. I don't know all the reasons behind this, but part of it is likely that the opposite preference dominated for a very long time.

I agree with Walter that it's a shame people insist on such limited views. It can make art look too much like the fashion world for my taste. I wouldn't single out Yale, though ... they're a conservative program and one of the last bastions of straight work in the academic world!

I'm also suspicious of the notion that education somehow corrupts a person's innate sensibilities. Artists have always gotten their educations wherever they could. These days we have art school; at other times they had informal apprenticeships; for centuries in Europe there was a rigorous guild system tied closely to academia (have you ever seen any of the abstract theories published by guys like Alberti and Columbus during the Renaissance? The painters at the time all studied this stuff).

This idea that literal, manual construction is what makes for art instead of the eye drawing something through a camera tells me that, 160 years later, people are still confused as to who makes the picture, the photographer or the camera.

IMHO an art degree can certainly help land a job and provide the experience, knowledge and background that might be beneficial for becoming an artist, but as Walter Callahan said it doesn't "make" an artist, much less a successful artist As to the superiority or legitimacy of one photographic genre over another I think it lies in the eyes of the beholder, not the academic/commercial/artsy-fartsy establishments.

Not to be hard on Sweden, but it is my understanding that such attitudes about degrees, vocational "tracks" and society (the EU being the logical spawn
    of such thinking)
    are common in europe (and some other parts of the world) and are even regulated by laws.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Additional thought--Take photos of what YOU enjoy. Hang the art that speaks to YOU. If it speaks to a broader audience and they'll pay you for it (or even if they won't) you are doing something artistic no matter what subject you have a degree in, or what the popular social constructs may be.
    Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You have to have an art degree to get published in an art magazine? Is this a law? Did Abba need degrees in music to write "Dancing Queen"?

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Polcou View Post
    You have to have an art degree to get published in an art magazine? Is this a law? Did Abba need degrees in music to write "Dancing Queen"?
    I think Abba owns Sweden, so no, they probably didn't need degrees
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

This sounds like a way to include certain people, and exclude other people, to control the flow of money.

Someone asked Napolean "From what royal lineage do you descend ?".

"I, sir, am the fountain head of my lineage", was his reply.

It's a pity that the Swedish art scene is so constrictive, I think it's partly true here in Australia too. From what I've seen, a degree is no guarantee of talent.

I do think that an MFA would be a great degree to do and would certainly help me to develop as an artist. It would be great to have to commit to a well defined project with a deadline and hopefully access to some frank criticism from a range of artists along the way. Of course it would give me a lot of contacts and open some doors locally. It might also provide a good basis for becoming a curator later on.

When I think about "straight" photography, I immediately think of America. I'm not sure whether it's the size of the art market or something else, but it seems that straight photography hasn't ever become really unfashionable in the 'States.