Thread: Mounting Copal 3 on Wista Board.

Mounting Copal 3 on Wista Board.

Greetings. I wish to mount a Copal 3 shutter on a Wista lens board. The problem is once mounted on a standard board, the cocking and release levers actually touch the front standard; i.e., the fit is too tight to operate the shutter. Some extension is called for, but upon perusing SK Grimes website, the "extension tube" board has 4 1/2 inches of extension. This is far too much, I need maybe 3/4 inch for clearance. Is there some other solution? Thank you.

Re: Mounting Copal 3 on Wista Board.

Most lenses in #3 shutters come new from the factory with a spacer ring that is used on smaller boards to solve your problem. When not in use and mounted on a lensboard the spacer ring can sometimes be found on the rear of the shutter held onby the retaining ring. If it is not there you can get one direct from Schneider or Rodenstock or call Jim at Midwest, he usually has them abailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Polcou View Post
    Greetings. I wish to mount a Copal 3 shutter on a Wista lens board. The problem is once mounted on a standard board, the cocking and release levers actually touch the front standard; i.e., the fit is too tight to operate the shutter. Some extension is called for, but upon perusing SK Grimes website, the "extension tube" board has 4 1/2 inches of extension. This is far too much, I need maybe 3/4 inch for clearance. Is there some other solution? Thank you.
    The Wista lensboard for a #3 shutter, 214523, has a short extension tube to eliminate the problem that you are having? Do you have the 214523 or a different Wista board? The new board is $125.00 list and can be ordered from any of our dealers.

Ted:
    This lens was purchased used and there is no spacer ring present, that I can see. I'll try Midwest.

Bob:
    I haven't purchased a board for this shutter yet. I just roughly sized up this shutter by placing it flush to a flat lensboard. I will check out the Wista board you mentioned if the spacer arrangement does not work.

Thanks to both for your responses.

"Most lenses in #3 shutters come new from the factory with a spacer ring that is used on smaller boards to solve your problem. When not in use and mounted on a lensboard the spacer ring can sometimes be found on the rear of the shutter held onby the retaining ring." Ted, thanks very much, your remark solved my problem also.