Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone give a Recommendation of a good Tele lenses for 4*5”

Re: Can someone give a Recommendation of a good Tele lenses for 4*5”

I have a View camera.
    My 90/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon N have a filter size of 82 and I like to have this size as maximum.
    My alternatives are:

Rodenstock APO-Ronar 480 f/9 have a filter size of 67
    Nikon Nikkor M 450 f/9 have a filter size of 67
    Fuji Fujinon C 450/12.5 have a filter size of 57
    Fuji Fujinon CM-W 450/8 have a filter size of 86

What lens/lenses shall i go for and how important is the max apertude?
    What lens is better for distant subjects and not only optimized at 1:1?

Weight of the lens isn't going to be important when you are lugging that beast of a camera out in the field. I'd get the Nikon 450M. All of the lenses you listed are good lenses. I say I'd get the 450M because I did. That is the lens in that focal length range that I use. I use it on several field cameras and on a Horseman LS which is very similar to your LX.

I hope you have considered the weight of the equipment that you will be carrying aroundoutdoors to do landscapes. With a suitably heavy tripod, the LX on its extendable rail, some lenses and ohter necessities you are likely to be in the range of 35 pounds or more; not to mention that it is no mean feat to set up a Horseman rail camera in the field.

I have a 19" [482.6mm] Red Dot Artar in a #4 shutter and cannot believe what a wonderful lens it is.

I also have a 360mm Apo Ronar [barrel, no shutter] and that is also a superb lens.

Steve

I will sneak in as well. I put my vote for Osaka 400/8. It is probably THE ligthest 400mm tele in Copal#1 - 500g including linhof-technika type metal lensboard (I would not recommend anyhing much heavier with Tachihara). Image cicrcle is not a problem - though one shold be carefull with front movements with a tele lens. The weak point may be the sample to sample variations.
    Matus

The 10" and 15" Tele-Optar/Raptar lenses are quite good, and CHEAP! I particularly like the 10" which requires almost the same bellows extension as a standard 6" lens.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Fuji Fujinon C 450/12.5 have a filter size of 57

Correction: The filter size is 52mm. I know it sounds small, but C stands for Compact, and it is.

I own one of these lenses, and it takes the same filters as my Fujinon 240A.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Weight of the lens isn't going to be important when you are lugging that beast of a camera out in the field. I'd get the Nikon 450M. All of the lenses you listed are good lenses. I say I'd get the 450M because I did. That is the lens in that focal length range that I use. I use it on several field cameras and on a Horseman LS which is very similar to your LX.

I hope you have considered the weight of the equipment that you will be carrying aroundoutdoors to do landscapes. With a suitably heavy tripod, the LX on its extendable rail, some lenses and ohter necessities you are likely to be in the range of 35 pounds or more; not to mention that it is no mean feat to set up a Horseman rail camera in the field.
    Its my first second hand LF camera. I not sure yet how I going to use it, but I am going to use it outdoors. I have to experiment. If I like doing LF then I’m going to get a field camera. There are a few photographers that use View cameras in the field they disconnect the camera and use a back pack. I’m going to try that and if it gets to heavy I switch to a field camera. My main reason to get a view camera is that it was cheep and I like to use its possibilities for correction.

Scott Davis

I'll put in another vote for the Nikkor 450 M. It is a lens you can live with for a long time on a lot of different cameras. Not to be confused with the 450 Q. Both are good lenses, but the 450 M has a much larger image circle.

> If I like doing LF then I’m going to get a field camera.

Whoa. If a field camera is even a possibility, then you need to get a telephoto like the Fuji 400T or the Nikon 360T. While you can use these on your monorail. if you get a Nikon or Fuji 450, you cannot use these on most field cameras.