Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using one of these for focusing?

Anyone using one of these for focusing?

Although new to LF I'm having a lot of difficulty with my field camera holding the loupe to my eye while trying to focus or adjust movements, added to that the loupe annoyingly gets steamed up when it's hot. I was taking my wife's rings to the jeweller for cleaning today when I noticed the guy there wearing one of these (http://www.eschenbach-optik.com/de/R...roducts=164620). I forgot about the rings and started asking him about them! Tried them on, they seem to work really really well, far less eye strain, no focus only in the center of view, etc, etc. The binocular version only works up to 3X but the monocular comes in a 7X magnification which would be plenty for me. Also gives the advantage of keeping an eye on the elements of the composition apart from the part being magnified.
    Anyone using something like this or have any opinions before I pay the £39?

Re: Anyone using one of these for focusing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Anyone using something like this or have any opinions before I pay the £39?
    A friend got a couple of these and lent me one. My opinion? The problem I had was that I could not keep my head sufficiently still in relation to the GG to maintain focus, especially at the higher magnifications. I wasn't tempted and reverted to using my Horseman 7x lupe.

I use something similar—OPTIVISOR—with a slightly higher magnification main lens (about 4x) and the clip-on/fold down Optiloupe attachment (about 7x total magnification). I find it much easier to use than a regular loupe, and I can quickly scan the entire gg and then swing down the Optiloupe for critical focus. The optical quality is not as high as the expensive loupes, but in practice it works so much better for me.

Lee Valley Tools sells a nose pincher reading glasses called pocket glasses in three strengths. They can sit in front of normal glasses. $5.50. I bought 5 and leave them in each camera bag.
    www.leevalley.com
    Regards
    Bill

That optivisor is funny, thank goodness for a dark cloth!

I use an eyeglass loupe on a pair of custom made reading glasses.

One of the "joys" of being vision impaired is you learn a bit about eye glass optics. I had my optician make a pair of 2x enlargement reading glasses for me. These are considerably stronger then the strongest drug store reading glasses, and they correct for each eye individually including my astigmatism. They let me focus at about 15 cm (about 6 in) so I can see the whole ground glass on my 5x4. Great for composition, framing, and rough focus.

Then I flip down a Donegan Optical clip-on loupe at 3x or 4x (I like the 3x better) to give me a total of 2+3 = 5x for hands free fine focusing.

It does take some getting used to, because the plane of focus moves with your head and DOF is quite shallow at 5x. But a day or two of practice should be all it takes to become proficient. This system works wonderfully for me. Of course, YMMV.

For what it's worth, I find the Donegan Optical loupes much preferable to the Bausch & Lomb version. The attachment to the glasses is much nicer and much stiffer, something you'll need under the dark cloth.

Bruce Watson

Photographer

Try some magnifying glasses from WalMart.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Try some magnifying glasses from WalMart.
    Just a quick guess but, I think Ben is in the UK, since he posted the price of his option in UKP. so Walmart might be a tad too far to go for a pair of specs

Sheeeeit...You mean we're supposed to focus?

damn...
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

If you wear glasses - this might work. I am using Horizon 4x loupe I got recently (previous Peak 8x was hard to use). It is rather large but perfectly sharp with very good contrast and edge performance. Practically no distortions. Happy user here.
    Matus