Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to LF - Help me find a good 6x9 camera!

New to LF - Help me find a good 6x9 camera!

I'm new to large format photography. I'm currently shooting with a Leica M8 which I like and I've shot with 35mm and digital SLR's earlier. I'm thinking of getting a LF camera for architecture and planned shots. I'm not a machine gun shooter so I like the idea of LF and it might fit my work very well. But I'm sure 6x9 is enough for me as I'm not a technical geek and I love the idea of roll film on a LF camera. I've also been thinking of a panorama camera (6x12 or 6x17 Linhof or Horseman).
    What would you recommend for me? My requirements are..

- Ease of use
    - High quality (I'm used to Leica )
    - 6x9 roll film
    - Compact and not to heavy
    - Easy to bring with me and set up

I would want a wide angle (24-35mm) 35mm equivalent lens for the camera. Any recommendations here?

Please also give me other good advice if you have any!

Re: New to LF - Help me find a good 6x9 camera!

What's your budget? Will you buy used equipment?

My recommendation, in terms of overall flexibility, would be to get a 4x5, and a 6x9 rollfilm back, rather than a 6x9 camera. The other approach would be a 6x9 model from a modular system - now I'm a bit out of my element, but I believe that Arca Swiss has 6x9 backs in their system, which due to the modularity would let you change formats if you ever decide to in the future. Linhoff makes a 6x9 but I don't know if you can change the format. Arca, Linhoff, and Sinar are all in the "Leica" class (both quality and cost!) Again, personally I would go for a less expensive 4x5 with something like the Calumet 6x9 "slide in" rollfilm holder (which I sometimes use on my Canham DCL45, and used initially on a Sinar F). Lenses are a little problematic, because something really wide angle on 6x9 probably wouldn't cover a larger format; you're probably looking at something shorter than the 80-90mm range which is as wide as I've gone on 4x5.

Dan,
    I've not a set budget, but if it's cheaper it's nice. At the same time I want good quality. New or used doesn't matter. Used is always nice so I can save some money. Thanks!

Peter,
    Good idea! But aren't 4x5 cameras bigger and more expensive? benefit would be that I could shoot panorama with a 4x5 camera. Can I use a 6x17 back on a 4x5 or just 6x12? Thanks!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

4x5" cameras are a little bigger, but they're also so much more common that a good used one is cheaper than a similar camera in 6x9"!

There are 6x17 backs for 4x5" cameras, and they're easier to find than the same for 5x7"...

The aspect ratios of 35mm and 6x9 are very close, so you can multiply by the ratio of the format diagonals to convert focal lengths. 35mm has a diagonal of 43mm, 6x9 has a diagonal of about 105mm.

So a 24mm on 35mm is equivalent to 58 on 6x9 and a 35mm on 35mm is equivalent to an 85 on 6x9.

I'm currently shooting with a Leica M8 which I like and I've shot with 35mm and digital SLR's earlier. I'm thinking of getting a LF camera for architecture and planned shots.
    Lol!

What do you call the shots from the digicam then?

I like 6x9cm format - have you looked at cheap options like a Graflex Century; mid-priced ones like a Fuji GSW690 III with a 65mm lens (equivalent to around 28mm on a 35mm camera), or a Silvestri H? They are all high quality, although the Graflex is more a budget/vintage? camera. The Fuji is reknown as the Texas Leica - for being the bigger is better and loud! version of the Leica baby. 6x9cm cameras are in abundance, although if you're not sure of 6x9cm, 6x12cm or 6x17cm, then it sounds like a proper LF camera like a 5x4" camera with 6x9cm option would be more flexible.

Personally I like the Silvestri H - it's portable, easy to use, and has huge wide-angle options, if not the best range for its size ratio.

At probably the top of the quality heap is ALPA, who offer a few cameras with shift capability and high quality lenses, in a relatively compact size. Very difficult to find on the used market, and probably the most expensive choice. Several options on film sizes, including 6x9.

Horseman offer a 6x12 and 6x9, both sometimes available used at okay price levels. There is some similar cameras from Linhof, like their 6x12 Technorama, but at higher price levels. There are some good deals sometimes for used Fuji 6x9 cameras, with the benefit of them being a rangefinder focus camera; sort of like a giant Leica. Most of these offer no movements, though I think Horseman makes a newer version with shift capability.

Then there are the newer choices of Fotoman and Gaoersi. I think one of the Gaoersi cameras allows switching the film format. Somewhat affordable new, since you can buy a used lens to fit onto these bodies. The downside is that you must set-up and calibrate your own lens to the body.

Then there is the Fuji GX680, with many good used choices. While this is a 6x8 camera, the film area proportion is very close to that of some 6x9 cameras (less than 1cm difference). These are large and heavy, but allow SLR viewing through the lens. This series of cameras also allows some limited movements.

Last choice would be what others have recommended, a 4x5 camera with a 6x9 rollfilm back. Shop carefully and you can find a reasonably portable set-up. Sometimes cheap if you can find a Crown Graphic to adapt, then add on a rollfilm back. More expensive would be a Linhof with rangefinder focusing, though this would meet your Leica quality expectations (other than weight, since a Linhof is heavy).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Thanks Ole and Ron!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    Lol!

What do you call the shots from the digicam then?

I like 6x9cm format - have you looked at cheap options like a Graflex Century; mid-priced ones like a Fuji GSW690 III with a 65mm lens (equivalent to around 28mm on a 35mm camera), or a Silvestri H? They are all high quality, although the Graflex is more a budget/vintage? camera. The Fuji is reknown as the Texas Leica - for being the bigger is better and loud! version of the Leica baby. 6x9cm cameras are in abundance, although if you're not sure of 6x9cm, 6x12cm or 6x17cm, then it sounds like a proper LF camera like a 5x4" camera with 6x9cm option would be more flexible.

Personally I like the Silvestri H - it's portable, easy to use, and has huge wide-angle options, if not the best range for its size ratio.
    Thanks for the advice!
    I think you know what I'm saying. I take some planned shots with the Leica for sure, but the idea with those cameras is always to have them with you and use them spontaineously. They are somewhat an extension of your eye in everyday life.