Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie questions forum?

Question Newbie questions forum?

There are many many stupid questions I would love to ask but don't as I don't want to litter the forums with numerous questions. I don't know how many other green members have questions they don't feel like asking in the regular forums, but I would imagine the number would be large enough to make use of its own forum. Just a thought.

Re: Newbie questions forum?

Please don't hesitate to ask questions here. That's the reason this forum exists. You can divide them up according to the different forums.

At the same time, you can also try the search engine to see if you can find some answers in the archives. Check out Tuan's webpage. There's a bundle of information there for people just getting started in LF.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

About 80% of all questions here are "stupid" - meaning basic, simple, informative, and easy to answer.

The rest are controversial...

Ask all the questions you want. I only started in 4x5 in January after spending 2+ years researching and reading as much as I can about the cameras, lens, methods, film, etc., and save money for the camera system. To help I started a blog on my efforts, and while much of it is either obvious or thinking out loud, it helps relieve much of the learning curve. I think it's the idea that if you've think you're smart, you haven't learned enough and especially to be a better photographer.

I guess the one piece of advice I would give is to go slow and give yourself some learning exercises to learn it in increments with one new thing in each lesson. And don't forget to go back and redo lesson (scenes or sites) when things didn't work. I do this with a list of sites with one idea to learn. You'll be surprised how hard the simple is.

Good luck.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by rivermandan View Post
    There are many many stupid questions I would love to ask...
    I have always told people that the only "stupid" questions are the ones you don't ask. Cause if you don't ask, you'll never get the answer, and will remain "stupid"

I'm sure a lot of us like "stupid" questions as they take us back to fond memories of just starting out in LF and knowing absolutely nothing. Lump a few of your questions together in a generic "help a newbie" post and fire away...

Ask away! Sometimes those questions aren't as dumb as you think they are.

I would encourage you to search the archives first, and perhaps indicate that you've done so. That'll keep you from getting responses like, "This has been discussed to death " or "Google is your friend".

Also avoid well-intentioned but unanswerable questions like, "What's the best camera?".

Good luck!

LMAO! So true!!!

The only stupid questions are those that you, with a little bit of thought or action, could answer yourself. E.g.,
    Q: I have this xyz lens. Does someone know what size filters it takes?
    A: Have you tried measuring the filter ring?

Part of learning a new subject is knowing what and how to teach yourself, and also knowing when to ask for help or advice. For the latter, this forum is a great source of collective knowledge and experience.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    A9. Ansel Adams used a Hasselblad -- and they are very inexpensive now, and as good as 4x5.
    Ahh, so it is true! I've been waiting for the definitive answer.

p.s. Velvita is not currently available in US, but we do have a Velveeta.