Thread: Sight and Insight, A workshop with John Wimberley

Sight and Insight, A workshop with John Wimberley

Sight and Insight

A Workshop on Seeing for Photographers

Presented by John Wimberley

October 3-7, 2007, Virginia City, Nevada

Limited to 16 Students. Tuition: $400.00

The most important aspect of photography is seeing. While equipment and technique have their place, it is the quality and depth of ones’ seeing that determines whether or not a picture rises above being a mere visual record. Light reflected from surfaces is recorded by the camera, but it is the job of the photographers’ eyes to see through those surfaces to the meaning within.

In this exciting workshop we will examine seeing from a number of perspectives including cultural conditioning, personal history, visual symbolism and the differences between the visual scene and the photograph. Because the eyes are an integral part of the whole body and psyche, we will examine the important roles played by energy level, posture, movement and breath. Simple exercises to rest and refresh the eyes will also be presented. In addition, we will explore the crucial contributions of peripheral vision and the intuitive organ of insight, the third eye.

The goal will be to have our pictures reflect an ever deeper, richer, more meaningful experience of life. This workshop is open to anyone with a camera, regardless of experience, age, format, or whether using film or digital.

The workshop will be held in the historical Saint Mary’s Art Center near downtown Virginia City, Nevada. The center boasts a darkroom with 8 enlargers and a print washing and finishing room. In addition to classroom instruction, we will have ample opportunities for field trips to photograph in Virginia City itself and the surrounding area. Tuition is $772 which includes 6 nights lodging in a single room, or $700 for a double room. All rooms are newly refurbished and have internet access.

To register or for more information please contact Linda at Saint Mary’s Art Center: 55 North R Street, Virginia City, NV 89440, telephone 775.847.7774, email smacenter@earthlink.net, or visit their web site at www.stmarysartcenter.org.

John Wimberley has been called "one of America’s preeminent landscape photographers." With more than 40 years of experience, John’s critically acclaimed work has been honored with more than 60 exhibitions and has been published around the world. His work is represented in more than 400 private and public collections, including many major museums. John is also a retired Yoga teacher and brings a body-centered perspective to teaching photography. Please visit his web site at www.johnwimberleyphotography.com.

Thank You!

Re: Sight and Insight, A workshop with John Wimberley

Perhaps I'm missing something but the headline says tuition is $400 and the text says $772.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Perhaps I'm missing something but the headline says tuition is $400 and the text says $772.
    I assume $ 400.00 for John and the rest for the lodging.
    The price seems very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    I assume $ 400.00 for John and the rest for the lodging.
    The price seems very reasonable.
    I thought that might be the case too but if so it certainly isn't very clear so I thought the poster might want to clarify if it is the case or correct if it isn't the case.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

"John is also a retired Yoga teacher and brings a body-centered perspective to teaching photography"

Do people actually spend money for something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fisher View Post
    "John is also a retired Yoga teacher and brings a body-centered perspective to teaching photography"

Do people actually spend money for something like this?
    You cannot separate your work from who you are.
    The work of any artists improves at the same rate of his/her spiritual growth.
    There are several tools to achieve this growth and since John is a retired yoga teacher, I am sure he got benefits from his discipline.
    Knowing his work I would be eager to attend at this workshop,...if I had it in the budget.

Sorry for the slow reply. I was out. The price as I hear it from John is Tuition is $772 which includes 6 nights lodging in a single room, or $700 for a double room. All rooms are newly refurbished and have internet access.
    He had a typo on the title part of the annoucement.
    John says that he will be offering the same workshop in May 15-18, 2008, Bainbridge Island, Washington. This is a lighter version. Less number of days, no hotels, and so forth. It's tutition is $200.
    Contact John at tjwimberley@charter.net for details.