Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gralab Timers - who uses these?

Gralab Timers - who uses these?

I've found out that although specified for 120Volts (USA), the Gralab Timers are actually compatible with 240Volts, however under American safety legislation, they have to be stipulated for 120Volts on the packaging (so as not to confuse dumb people).

There's several models of these and I've just realised how neat these really are. For instance, from the 500 series, they have an accuracy around 0.1+secs and have switchable inputs, put foot-switch operation.

I think I can daisy-chain a 500 series to a 600 series Gralab and use this for split grade printing - correct?

Of the two channels, I would then run the first channel (A) to make the base exposure and then the second channel for the contrast grade (B). Since there is a straight forward 3.5mm jack, I would just input the 600 into one of the 3.5mm jacks of the 500 series. Correct?

This looks like such a simple and elegant solution to split-grade printing using a phenomenally cheap digital timer with audio and red dimmable LCD display.

Am I oversimplifying matters, or have I missed a serious drawback about daisy-chaining two Gralabs? I've noticed they sell for less than the price of a decent UV filter second-hand and wondered if I go down this route, would it work, or should I just head towards a proper analyser and exposure meter like the RH Designs options.
    The price difference is considerable: both Gralabs would cost less than $100US and the RH Analyser Pro would cost around £250, whereas the ZoneMaster II & F.stop timer option would run into £300.

Any thoughts welcome.

Re: Gralab Timers - who uses these?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post

Am I oversimplifying matters, or have I missed a serious drawback about daisy-chaining two Gralabs? .

You're using two timers and you think you're simplifying? These are just timers. I'm not sure what you are trying to gain from using two of them. Saving resetting the time between grades?

okkkkay....

I don't get it either. Can you explain what it is you are trying to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post
    I don't get it either. Can you explain what it is you are trying to do?
    Avoid spending £300 on a Zone Master II and F stop timer?

I need a timer with different channels and switchable inputs. At the minute, I have an old-fashioned dial operated analogue Devere type timer.

Since I'm going to start split-grade printing seriously (more than I have been doing on graded papers with a cold cathode head), I need the different channels, without becoming overwhelmed by the amount of information to retain. That's why daisy-chaining two Gralabs seemed sensible - the first timer operates for the base exposure and the second for the contrast printing.

Does that make sense?

Rob,

I am not sure this makes sense. The outlets would turn on and off, erasing any values entered. I have the Gralab 625, and it has all of the above features you mention and two different times can be set. You switch back and forth between the two with a switch. Wouldn't that be easier???

Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110149751753

Can the values not be stored in the Memory switches?

I see what you mean - One Gralab makes more sense than 2 then. I didn't realise they were that advanced. Clearly I need to look at a higher end model then.

Do you use yours for split-grade printing then?

Rob - my GraLab 565 has two manually-selectable memories that you could use in this way. My 900 has seven memories, and I think also allows for programming sequences of steps, though I've never used it that way. But since I guess you have to switch the filters manually anyway, one of the two-memory GraLabs with manual switching may be fine for you.

Thanks Oren,

I must be looking at the base models which don't have such complex functions.

It doesn't help that the Gralab website shows everything non-photography related which renders it difficult to navigate.

I might try The Gralab before the RH Designs option then - just having a memory switch is way more sophisticated than what I'm using at the moment.

The GraLab website isn't a lot of help, unfortunately. Many of the higher-end darkroom-oriented timers have been discontinued and are missing from the site. Taking a quick peek just now, the 451 and 655 among the current models appear to have the dual-memory feature, but you should be able to find one of the discontinued models used for much less.