Thread: Two new products I've gotten

Two new products I've gotten

I'd like to praise two LF products I've gotten recently. Someone might already have posted about this stuff, so sorry if this is redundant. These products are new to me.

First:

Saitta hand made LF ground glass protection cases. http://www.saittabags.com/bbl.php

He's a California based photographer who is also making a range of LF gear. I got a few of the gg protection cases (one is 11x14 case to protect my anti-newton glass for scanning), and I have to say they are excellent. I also got a couple of 4x5 film holder bags. Equally well made.

I spoke at length with Mr. Saitta on the phone. He's a very passionate LF photographer, and puts every once of pride into his gear.

Second:

Brilliant Ground Glass makes hand-made gg for various formats. He is a southern California photographer who sells through a store set up on eBay. http://stores.ebay.com/Brilliant-Gro...Q3amesstQQtZkm

His turn around time is exception. I had him make a couple of custom gg viewfinders for my old Graflex cameras, and got them in less than 5 business days.

He is very easy to work with, and his pricing is dirt cheap (for now).

Other than buying their gear, I have no affiliation with either of these manufacturers. Nor am I getting any breaks in pricing for mentioning them. I'm simply impressed with their stuff and want others to know about them.

Hope this is news you can use.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Re: Two new products I've gotten

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Brilliant Ground Glass makes hand-made gg for various formats. He is a southern California photographer who sells through a store set up on eBay. http://stores.ebay.com/Brilliant-Gro...Q3amesstQQtZkm
    Seems like he doesn't cut corners? (no pun intended)

Walter can you comment on the brightness and ease of use of your new screens, compared to those you've used before.

I'm looking to buy 4 and have been in touch with him to see if he can supply or suggest a fresnel to go with them. He replied very quickly, and he is extremely helpful and suggested a company, who themselves replied quickly (US Division) and noting the .co.uk in my email address it was passed on to the UK division. The company make fresnels but are unaware of there use with LF cameras.

Ian

Ian
    I'd be interested in your experience with both these issues...
    A.C.

Ron, he'll clip the corners to whatever size you want.

Ian, I just got a a couple of screens rigged to my Speed & Crown Graphics, some with Fresnel lenses. So I'm comparing to the older gg, not moderns gg. The new gg I've gotten are a big improvement over the older gg in these Graphic cameras. His gg in my RB Graflex cameras are a big improvement also.

I'm waiting on one screen that will fit my modern Arca-Swiss 'cause I'm interested, too, in seeing if his work is brighter than what came with the Arca. I don't know yet.

If you're upgrading older cameras, I think you'll be very happy. Newer contemporary gg might not be a big leap in brightness.

Hope that's helpful.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Thanks for the information Walter. please let us know how the screen for the Arca performs.

I've been in touch with the fresnel screen manufacturers, and I'll be sending a back off a spare monorail camera to them when I'm back in the UK. So A.C. I'll keep you posted.

Ian

I have a great experience with Steve and his Brilliant glass, too. His shipments are very fast, and his product is great. Steve's GG is brighter and easier to focus than my old Technika IV GG. He is very easy to work with.

How does brilliant compare to Satin Snow?