Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Did All the 300's Go?

Where Did All the 300's Go?

Have been searching for either a 305 G-Claron (with shutter) or a Nikon 300 M/Q for a while now and it is like the market dried up. Is it just a summer slump or shift. Lots of 300 Nikkor-W, etc.

Just wondering if I am looking in the wrong places (feepay, plus the usually suspects - MPEX, KEH, etc)?
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Re: Where Did All the 300's Go?

Check Ebay more often. There was a Nikkor 300-M earlier today for $499 Buy-it-now. It's gone already. There was one on June 29th for $450 Buy-it-now.

You've got to check early/often to catch those. Create a "Favorites" search on ebay for LF Lenses with Buy-it-Now option, newly listed first. Check it twice a day. Then be patient.

I just acquired a 305 G-Claron, but they do seem hard-ish to find at the moment. I will probably be selling my Fuji 300C now that I have the G-Claron, so feel free to PM me if you're interested.

(In case you weren't aware, the G-Claron and Fuji 300C (or A) both cover quite a bit more than the Nikkor 300M. Probably no issue for 4x5 or 5x7, but the Nikkor just barely covers 8x10.)

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Yup, they are scarce/going very fast. No luck here this summer, either. Thanks for the tip on using "Favorites."

ciao for now-------------------------------------------------

Peter

This dealer has a Nikon 300M for $625:

http://www.georgeury.com/

Not a great price but listed as mint. Good priced items go fast and you have to work at it.

The 305 G-Claron is a great chunk of glass... that's why they're being snapped up!

[Likewise for the 240 and 355 focal lengths too. ]

Good luck on finding one.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Find yourself a "white market" dealer and purchase a brand new one:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1112&IID=5867

They also have new 240mm and 270mm versions left. I wanted a 270 around five months ago, stumbled on those schneideroptics pages and bought one through Midwest. It was manufactured in 1999; eight year old German air came out of the sealed poly bag when I cut it open.

The prices shown are "list." Actual selling price is set by the dealer and, in my case, was much lower.

Funny coincidence, I've been digging around for a 300mm to use as a portrait lens on my "new" 5x7 B&J --- in my case, I definitely want something *less sharp* (e.g. vintage) and in a shutter already, and have been having a devil of a time. Probably not helpful that I am trying to keep the price on the lower end.

Patience, patience, I know -- but I am really looking forward to fiddling with this camera.

JT

Vintage 300 ... hmmm I have a nice industar 300mm f4.5. That was a steal at all of 30. On the bay from the ukraine. If you search about this is the usual price.

Tessar design. Coated and wide open it is as sharp as a portrait lens needs be.

Since getting it I have retired the 270 repromaster to a long life on a shelf.

Scott Davis

I snagged a Wolly Velostigmat 12" in a like-new Alphax shutter for $99 this spring, on feePay. The shutter alone is worth more than that. The lens doesn't have the greatest of reputations, but it should make a nice portrait length for 5x7 and a decent normal for 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. I'm putting it on my Seneca whole-plate field camera so I can shoot the format out of the studio.