Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Angulon 90mm f6.8- opinions?

Schneider Angulon 90mm f6.8- opinions?

I saw a cheap one for sale not too long ago, and I was curious if anyone has used this lens, and has any opinion about its relative sharpness, contrast and color accuracy compared to the Super Angulons, both the f8 and the f5.6, not to mention other 90mm's for 4x5. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Re: Schneider Angulon 90mm f6.8- opinions?

I have carried one in my field camera kit since the 60's. The angle of view is slightly less than the Super Angulon, but i will give that up for the savings in weight.

By the way, the rear element will focus alone giving you about 140-150mm lens.

I always use the 2 elements at f 16 r smaller, and the rear at f22 equivalent or smaller.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras/Angulon/

sharpness is good, newer lenses have a flatter field with a sharper drop in sharpness at the edge of the image circle. Super Angulons have less light fall-off, and a larger image circle - I use my 90/8 more on 5x7" than on 4x5". My SA is old and single-coated, and I think the plain angulon gives slightly higher image contrast.

Note that the pictures on my Angulon page were shot on 5x7" film, and that it's a good idea not to let the sun shine directly on the front lens of ANY lens!

Very little coverage (angle of coverage is about 80 degrees) so movements are limited to non-existent, something of a grab-bag in terms of quality since Schneider wasn't known for its quality control back when this lens was manufactured. But small, light, good for back-packing and fine for landscapes and other subjects that don't require much in the way of movements. Both of the Super Angulons you mention will have considerably more coverage, may be multi-coated or at worst will be single-coated, are perhaps mounted in more modern shutters than the Angulon, and are more of a known quantity in terms of quality. However, both are large and heavy, the f5.6 more so than the f8 but even the f8 is no light-weight. There have been quite a few postings about this lens here and elsewhere since it's popular with hikers so if you search here and other LF forums (e.g. photo.net) you should find a bunch of opinions. Also, if you go to www.schneideroptics.com you can find the specs for the lens and other information about it.

When buying an old lens the shutter is at least as important as the lens itself since a replacement shutter will likely cost more than you pay for the lens and repairs can be expensive as well (if a shutter isn't working properly, don't accept the seller's statement that it just needs a CLA, I've tried two older lenses with sticky shutters and both were beyond repair). So you'd want to thoroughly check the condition of the shutter if possible and if not then buy the lens with the right to return no questions asked.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

How about color rendition? Any opinions on that?

Good lens.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Oh, color rendition?

Good color rendition.

I use mine on a Crown Graphic for decades.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Color rendition is neutral to slightly warm (depending on the individual lens). I got my first one in 1953 and still love it. It is particularly good for use as a standard lens for a roll-film back (I've shot thousands of prom couples this way). You might note that a recessed lens board is generally needed for many 4x5 cameras (I have one for my GVII, and another for Techinka IV). My f:8.0 Super-Angulon is usable on flat boards, but it's a beastie.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Even very old uncoated Angulons have good colour rendition - under the right circumstances. After all there are only four surfaces...

So I picked one up, and it's even smaller than anticipated. I even wondered at first whether it was missing an element in the back, but it appears to be all there! Does anyone know what size hole lensboard it takes?