Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Older 210mm to cover 8x10

Re: Older 210mm to cover 8x10

Ahhh, almost forgot to mention the older Fujinon W lenses -- the versions with 58mm front filter diameters were 80-degree plasmats, but were only single-coated. The 210 will cover with a few inches of excess IC and even the 180 will cover 8x10, but just. They command a bit of premium when you can find them, but still very affordable compared to Rodenstock 80-degree lenses.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I don't know how old my Fuji 210 f/5.6 is but it's multicoated, in a black Copal 1 shutter. It *just* covers 8x10 at f/22 or higher but is sharp corner to corner and has excellent contrast. I had originally thought to just use it until I could afford a lens with more coverage but after a few months of using it I don't really see much of a need to change it. I'll look up the serial number tonight and post it.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Ahhh, almost forgot to mention the older Fujinon W lenses -- the versions with 58mm front filter diameters were 80-degree plasmats, but were only single-coated. The 210 will cover with a few inches of excess IC and even the 180 will cover 8x10, but just. They command a bit of premium when you can find them, but still very affordable compared to Rodenstock 80-degree lenses.
    Jack, How does the Fuji 210 W compare to the Kowa/Computer/Kyvytar 210 f9/6.8 in terms of sharpness?

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    I don't know how old my Fuji 210 f/5.6 is but it's multicoated,
    Then it's not a W. Instead of the serial number check the location of the lettering. Front of the lens? Or around the outside?

http://members.aol.com/subgallery/210w56.jpg

A W should have lettering like that. I'm guessing your lens is a later model.

http://members.aol.com/subgallery/210nw56.jpg

Like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    I don't know how old my Fuji 210 f/5.6 is but it's multicoated, in a black Copal 1 shutter. It *just* covers 8x10 at f/22 or higher but is sharp corner to corner and has excellent contrast. I had originally thought to just use it until I could afford a lens with more coverage but after a few months of using it I don't really see much of a need to change it. I'll look up the serial number tonight and post it.

Mike
    If it's MC -- lettering around the outside rim of the front barrel -- it isn't an 80-degree version. Also, not all single-coated Fujinons are 80-degree, but the 210 and 180 with 58mm front filter diameters are.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Vanannan

Hi again
    Just a further comment, when I purchased my 210mm Computar I also purchased a 210 G Claron, a 210mm 6.8 Angulon and a 210mm Kowa graphic for comparison, the G claron was sharp enough but with little room for movement, the Kowa was also sharp with a lot more movement than the Claron but not as much as the Computar, the Angulon was old and uncoated in a Compound shutter, it wasn't as sharp as the others and noticably soft outside the 10x8 image area, maybe the more modern Angulon lenses are better.

I hope this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Jack, How does the Fuji 210 W compare to the Kowa/Computer/Kyvytar 210 f9/6.8 in terms of sharpness?
    The one I had was very sharp. It was a bit sharper than my Kowa 210, but the Kowa has maybe another 2 inches of IC and is tiny so it's the one I kept.

FWIW, I happened onto one of the 80-degree Fuji 180's, so I'll try it out and report on it next week. But since it just covers 8x10 and I already have a Schneider 180 APO for 4x5, my report on it will probably be a post in the B&S forum

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I would recommend a 210 f6.8 Angulon. Mine is a late model (12 xxx xxx s/n) in a Copal 3 and it has tons of coverage for 8x10. Ones like these come up on eBay 3-4 per year. I used to have a 5 5xx xxx Linhof Angulon in a Compound shutter, and I tested it against the newer 210 Angulon and also two 210 Apo-Sironar-W's. In the center of the field the old Linhof model was the sharpest, although the Sironar-W's were sharper at the edges. The only reason I kept the other Angulon over the Linhof model was for the modern shutter.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

I prefer lenses that cover a format with movements over those that just cover. Based on that, the 210 angulon is the easiest to find compact lens that covers with movements. Harder to find is the 210 f9 zeiss dagor that i use and can recommend without reservation.

I noticed you prefer coated lenses. The 210 angulon can be found single coated usually in a copal 3 shutter. The f9 dagors were not coated. However, they are 2/2 cemented construction with only 4 air/glass interfaces and have fairly good contrast even without coatings.