Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circular Pics

Circular Pics

Gayle's lecturer invited me over and a few pounds later I am the proud owner of a mamiya Super 23 and a bowens flash head....

Now the mamiya has the fabled 50mm 6.3 on it which on 6x9 is simply astounding. What I want to know though has anyone been shooting circular images on 4x5 with it.

Or does anyone plainly shoot circular images. I noticed magnachrome has a fisheye article (although they left the hoods on so they were no 100% circular) which inspired me to think of adapter boards for the sinar or the graflex.

Re: Circular Pics

There's a bit in the latest Magnachrom about a mod to put a mamiya 6x7 fisheye on a 4x5 board.

Me:
    I noticed magnachrome has a fisheye article (although they left the hoods on so they were no 100% circular) which inspired me to think of adapter boards for the sinar or the graflex.
    Christopher:
    There's a bit in the latest Magnachrom about a mod to put a mamiya 6x7 fisheye on a 4x5 board.
    err .. I kinda said that didn't I ? Plus their version is totally overpriced. The best way is on a sinar or an old speed graphic with the baseboard removed. Then a russian arsat lens with the lugs cut off. The magnachrom one is a bit crap. Why go to all the bother to just leave the lugs on for the 6x7 format?

the only ciculars I have found are this one here from glenview. Which is a sinar handy with a 38mm biogon:

So I'm thinking the mamiya 50mm might give same results. Has anyone tried?

I ain't done tried it but one issue will be whether you want a hard or soft edge at the transistion. You might need a reversed lenshood epoxied on or some such thing if you want a hard circle. It will vary by aperture as well.

Kerik Kouklis has done some circular work in the past. See here:
    http://www.kerik.com/pt_circles/index.html

The hard cicle can always be added in PS so I'm not too bothered about that. So next challenge is making my own sinar handy copy from an old mamiya an F1 rear standard and a lot of sellotape

Finally I'll be doing the vaccum back in the current magnachrom. Night time project here I come.

Quote Originally Posted by scrichton View Post
    The magnachrom one is a bit crap. Why go to all the bother to just leave the lugs on for the 6x7 format?
    Just to respond:

Yes I did leave the "lugs" on -- mostly to protect the lens. I'm currently not looking for a circular look (although I can certainly understand why someone might want such a unique format). Instead, I was more interested in exploring 3"x3" square fisheye format which this 37mm Mamiya RB lens delivers. One thing I find very handy with the lugs present is pressing the fisheye against a shop window and capturing everything shown -- kinda cool and relieves me of having to set up a tripod.

Yes it was a touch expensive, but it works like a charm. I certainly could have instructed S.K. Grimes to remove the lugs, (as could anyone) but I left them on deliberately. YMMV. Anyway, it certainly is an intriguing mod and for those of you who are mechanically inclined, I encourage you to try it!

Cheers

michael,
    I can second that, I have a front and rear RB panel for my Toyo, I can use either/or lenses and backs. the 150 SF is amazing at 4x5.

erie

I have used a 90mm Angulon on 8x10, and it works pretty well for circular images.

Jason,
    I'm in the middle of building a recessed lensboard for the C1 for the 90f8 SA, how much coverage did you actually get with the angulon?

erie