Thread: Canham MQC57

Canham MQC57

Really getting to like my 5x7 back on my Kodak Masterview and am considering a m ove into a 5x7 only camera. The Canham MQC57 is one that comes to mind as a pote ntial. Any comments on the camera along the lines of functionality as far as foc using and locking it down with wide angle lenses and longer ones would be apprec iated. Obviously, coming from an 8x10 Masterview, the solid feeling and rigidity are well appreciated. I found one locally and plan on looking at it this week, but felt that some recommendations and evaulations from current users would assi st me in the evaluation process. Any other metal 5x7 cameras I should consider? Many thanks to all.

Canham MQC57

Don't overlook the wood and metal 5x7 Canham. Should you ever care to, you can u se a 4x5 reducer back or a 4x10 panoramic back. njb

Re: Canham MQC57

Bonjour
    I'm interested in MQC 5x7 4x5 reducer but prior to order I want to look at.
    I'm unable to get a picture of this accessorie. Even on Canham official site there is not any picture
    Could somebody send me one or two photos of such back reducer?
    Thanks in advance
    jean-claude
    jean-claude.pronier@wanadoo.fr

Sorry, I can't speak directly to the MQC57, but I have used both the Canham DLC45 and the wooden and metal 4x5/5x7 cameras (the T57). I've been lead to believe that the DLC and MQC work in much the same manner, and largely share the same pluses and minuses. I think both cameras have excellent, innovative designs.

The DLC camera is certainly sturdy enough to do quality work. It functions quite smoothly with both long and short lenses (my shortest lens is a 75, longest is 450). Any shorter than 75, and I'd need a bag bellows. The DLC can move under pressure (you place your loupe gently against the groundglass, don't press on it or you'll deflect the rear standard and get bad focus), but settles consistently into the same place. At full extension the DLC works fine in a breeze, but even a moderate wind is a challenge. The bellows catches enough wind to make the camera vibrate, making long exposures difficult. The DLC has more direct front rise than the T57.

The T57, in my opinion, is much more rigid than the DLC. It needs a bag bellows for significant movements with even a 110 SSXL (I can get bellows vignetting before running out the front rise on the camera). It is very easy to use with my 110 and 75, as the rear standard can be run up the rails. The T57 has front axis tilt, which I prefer to the DLC/MQC base tilt. Using the 450, the T57 is solid in moderate winds. I can't recall shooting the 450 in heavy winds (I avoid long extensions in heavy winds).

Until later,

--clyde

Hi Michael,

I bought an MQC57 just over a year ago and its become my main camera. I love the format and overall I find it to be an excellent camera. Its got lots of bellows draw - my longest lens is a 450 but it will focus a 600 for sure. I've used a 75 Nikkor with a bag bellows and 4x5 back and had ample rise for architectural shots. In 5x7 format I've used a 90mm Nikon with the regular bellows and no issues. The camera is sturdy when fully extended.

My biggest complaint is with the poor quality of the zero detents for the standards. When I unfold the camera, it sets up very quickly, but its very difficult to tell if the standards are perfectly parallel to each other. I had to purchase some Toyo bubble levels and glue them on both standards (after making sure they are accurate) in order to tell if the standards are actually parallel to each other. The zero detent for the "neutral" position is too sloppy to rely on without another way of verifying it.

The other complaint is that I frequently have trouble locking down the front standard after I've focussed. It seems to be that the focus knob has a tiny allan screw that needs to be tightened in place which I've done - but it occasionally loosens up. When this happens it will tighten a bit, but not enough to lock the focus completely.

These two complaints are a bit of a pain, but not enough for me to say the cameras no good - its a great camera overall. Sure, if I could afford an Ebony 57 I'd get one, but to get one with the same movements and extension would be well over $5000.

I hope this helps!

jetcode

if you shoot in a cold environment metal will not be warmer to work with, personally I like wood

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Nacio Jan Brown View Post
    Don't overlook the wood and metal 5x7 Canham. Should you ever care to, you can u se a 4x5 reducer back or a 4x10 panoramic back. njb
    There are other solutions too like a 4x10 Shen-Hao with a 5x7 back. I really enjoy this camera and 4x10 is a lot of fun to work with artistically.