Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Getting Excited!!

Re: Getting Excited!!

Hi all.

Can you explain me the thing with Littman?
    The design of the Littman is supposed to be patented.
    Dude I can't understand how you can patent such a simple modification, especially without the exclusivity of the original manufacturer (polaroid). It's like people who patent Indian Drug receipes, there's nothing new!
    Everything allready exists, it's like a mix of Polaroid Land, Plaubel 67, Mamiya Press, and Fotoman 45PS.

But question is, in legal terms :
    1) is this Patent valid, yes or no?
    2) if yes, in which countries? (USA only?)
    3) Can you get fined for using professionally the Razzle camera in theses countries ?

Thanks !

PS: 4) If I do the mods myself, am I infringing any patent?

Attaching a 4x5 back to a Polaroid is not a patentable thing, in my opinion. Perhaps the Littman patented the design of his 4x5 back. I know for sure, from looking at many online photos, that the Razzle 4x5 back is entirely different from the Littman. Other than the back, there is no other patentable modification done. Changing out the lens and lens standard, sawing off un-needed camera parts, repainting body, and recovering with new leatherette, and recalibrating the rangefinder are not patentable things.

You can do whatever mods you want to any camera you own without fear of infringing on anything. Even if you were to acquire a Littman 4x5 back, and put it on your camera, as long as you didn't make a "fake" Littman back, or call your camera a Littman, you could even sell your camera. The Littman name for the camera may be copyrighted..which is not the same thing as a patent. Just call your camera a Flowmeister Delux or something.

Once you own a camera, it is yours. You don't license a camera, you purchase it. It is yours. You can set fire to it if you wish. You can shoot with your own camera equipment anywhere in the world, as long as photography is permitted.

Companies are patenting the strains of rice grown in India for 1,000's of years.

It doesn't matter if it is complex. As long as it is not "generally accepted practice", or you add new information (like DNA analysis), you can patent it. Total rip off of course.

Whether it holds up? Probably, because no-one makes enough money off of the items to spend the time and money to challange him.

Is it right? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Johnson View Post
    Whoever said boys don't like foreplay should read this thread?
    What is foreplay? Don't you just stick it in?

How in the f* did this thread get to 28 pages? (posts like mine I guess)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Attaching a 4x5 back to a Polaroid is not a patentable thing, in my opinion. Perhaps the Littman patented the design of his 4x5 back. I know for sure, from looking at many online photos, that the Razzle 4x5 back is entirely different from the Littman. Other than the back, there is no other patentable modification done. Changing out the lens and lens standard, sawing off un-needed camera parts, repainting body, and recovering with new leatherette, and recalibrating the rangefinder are not patentable things.

You can do whatever mods you want to any camera you own without fear of infringing on anything. Even if you were to acquire a Littman 4x5 back, and put it on your camera, as long as you didn't make a "fake" Littman back, or call your camera a Littman, you could even sell your camera. The Littman name for the camera may be copyrighted..which is not the same thing as a patent. Just call your camera a Flowmeister Delux or something.

Once you own a camera, it is yours. You don't license a camera, you purchase it. It is yours. You can set fire to it if you wish. You can shoot with your own camera equipment anywhere in the world, as long as photography is permitted.

Shure, it's also what I THINK. But law works on its own rules.
    - Is this Patent valid or not?
    - Was there any precedent where People have been fined for a product similat to Littman?

About the only weight that patent has carried was getting some EBAY auctions pulled. I doubt he wants it dragged into court, because he could very well lose. Just for reference, the back is a Horseman back modified to fit. He was one of the first to take several different parts and put them together to make this type of camera, though quite far from being the only individual to do so. Anyway, much of the controversy is down to a willingness to spout off about the patent, yet never bother to drag it into court . . . I think that tells the most about how well that patent might do in court . . . why challenge legally when you can coerce or bully your way around. However, this is just my opinion.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

It's a utility patent.