Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: foto3/VC Conference - merged thread

Re: View Camera Confrence 2008

Blacky,

The site is up .... http://foto3-2008.info .... and initial workshop and seminar info will there as soon as Sean uploads it (likely sometime in the next 5-7 hours).

There will be preconference workshops led by Gordon Hutchings, Les Mclean, Bill Schwab, Ted Harris, Bruce Barlow & Richard Ritter, Ted Orland, Fred Newman, Steve Simmons, Nicole Boenig-McGrade, Peter LeGrand and several others. These workshops will run from one to three days. Specific details will be on the website in the next several days .... along with preliminary seminar information. Three day workshops will start on Monday, the others will be staggered.

We also expect several noted photographers such as John Sexton, Joel Myerwitz, Albert Watson and Karen Kuehn to join us for presentations, print reviews, etc.

Other events will include free night photography and architectural photography workshops, a photo tour of the New Belgium Brewery, digital printing demonstrations at HP's Ft. Collins Graphic Arts HQ ... and more. For now, if you need more specifics before they are on the website please email me.

We are juggling a lot of information and people and scheduling but will have the workshop info available before I leave for Photo Plus on Wednesday.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 14-Oct-2007 at 19:59.

In the desert...

Hugo's Idea

Not a bad idea at all...if some one would just get the space and co ordinate with all who are bringing a print, Identify the wall space designated for each participant's print and the photographer could hang his or her own with space also for identification and process etc..It was a real joy to see the members prints on display at the APUG conference. There might be space available somewhere in Ft. Collins that would welcome a few days of glory laude and honor.

In the desert...

Thanks for the update Ted.

One more short point ... to answer an earlier question ... the cost of the preconference workshops will range from $175 for the one day workshops to $400 for the three day workshops with discounts for more than one workshops.

And an addendum ... I forgot to mention the Alternate Process Workshop being led by Kevin Sullivan. This will be an intensive three day session.

Here are a few more tidbits

I am doing an intro/intermediate lf class in Victor, Co Sunday afternoon through Tuesday before the conference. We will be staying at the Victor Hotel. Gordon Hutchings may join us. Victor is up in the Rockies one hour west of Colorado Springs at an elevation of approx 9700'.

Gordon Hutchings is doing a one day darkroom workshop, probably the Thursday before the conference. This will cover the use of a staining developer, determining your persona EI and dev time, and basic printing. He will do a 1/2 day workshop on Friday about exposure and filters.

Les McClean will do a one day darkroom workshop, probably Wednesday before the conference.

There will be a wet plate wokrshop, either Thursday or Friday.

An alt process workshop Monday-Wednesday.

A Holga workshop with Ted Orland either Thursday or Friday.

A portrait and figure workshop - day(s) to be determined.

There will be organized and unorganized outings with area photographers who know the region.

There will be a scanning workshop, visits to a local digital lab, exhibits of attendees work - these need to be sent ahead of time, presenters work, and winners of a print competition.

There will be more. There is a lot to organize and we are hurrying!!!!!

steve simmons
    Last edited by steve simmons; 14-Oct-2007 at 20:04.

In addition to the info in the previous post we will have sessions during the conference by Charles Cramer on what makes a good digital print, from a copyright attorney on copyright law and freedom of access and expressions laws as the apply to photographers, understanding and using the ULF camera, using film in medium and small formats, understanding and using a staining developer, presenting your work to museums and galleries, the photographic book, using filters in the studio and outdoors, etc., etc.

steve simmons

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    In addition to the info in the previous post we will have sessions during the conference by Charles Cramer on what makes a good digital print, from a copyright attorney on copyright law and freedom of access and expressions laws as the apply to photographers, understanding and using the ULF camera, using film in medium and small formats, understanding and using a staining developer, presenting your work to museums and galleries, the photographic book, using filters in the studio and outdoors, etc., etc.

steve simmons
    Steve,

I'd be interested in a 1/2 day or full day on digital imaging from exposure of film targeted for scanning to the final product via PS. Obviously that is a lot of ground to cover but I believe the focus of the conference is fine art whether traditional or modern. This conference appears to be geared towards mostly analog output processes of which I do not practice. I may be completely wrong here. Just another suggested possibility. Another very useful workshop for me would be portfolio development. Perhaps this falls under presentation to museums.

Joe

I think these are two excellent suggestions, I would be interested in the PS methods others here use.

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    Steve,

I'd be interested in a 1/2 day or full day on digital imaging from exposure of film targeted for scanning to the final product via PS. Obviously that is a lot of ground to cover but I believe the focus of the conference is fine art whether traditional or modern. This conference appears to be geared towards mostly analog output processes of which I do not practice. I may be completely wrong here. Just another suggested possibility. Another very useful workshop for me would be portfolio development. Perhaps this falls under presentation to museums.

Joe

Joe,

Your needs will be met in several ways. 1) There will be a three day woirkshop on scanning and digital workflow. During the workshop we will be discussing exposure for scanning, actually scanning film on scanners ranging from an ICG 360 through an IQSmart 3 to the latest 'prosumer' scanners, working with the images in PS and outputting to a variety of printers including 9800's, Roland's and Chromira's. This will be a hands on workshop.

There will also be workshops/demonstrations at HP's Ft. Collins Graphic Arts Facility ... more on these to follow next week after more of the details are in place.

We tried 1/2 workshops at past View Camera Conferences and they just don't work that well. Each participant gets a tiny bite at the apple and everyone goes away hungry. A half day is just not enough time to discuss and practice basics, a few more advanced techniques and see results.

There will be plenty for the digital shooter and/or processer as well. This includes workshops as well as seminars. Several of the leaders of the preconference shooting workshops fully expect half or more of the participants to be shooting small and medium format digital. There will be at least as many sessions that relate exclusively to the digital world as there will be sessions that relate exclusively to the traditional world; may will be applicable to all forms of imae capture, processing and printing. As for presentation and portfolio development there will be several demonstrations and sessions on preparing your work for presentation and at least one panel discussion on "what works/sells" including gallery owners and curators. Finally, there will be numerous scheduled print/portfolio reviews conducted by notable photographers.

Now I gotta get back to putting the schedule together.

Steve Simmons wrote this, "Les McClean" point of fact Steve is that his name is spelled Les McLean. here is Les's website: http://www.lesmcleanphotography.com/index.php

lee\c
    Last edited by lee\c; 16-Oct-2007 at 09:35. Reason: punctuation and adding info