Thread: Scanview Scanmate 5000; damaged & in need of repair - SOS

Scanview Scanmate 5000; damaged & in need of repair - SOS

Hi, I currently own a damaged drum (and possibly damaged scanner) after having an incident with said machine...

Does anyone know of anyone based in the UK (preferably london) who can assess / service / repair / offer parts for this type of machine....

Also are Scanview drums standard accross all their machines?

Does anyone have a contact for Scanview themselves?

Many thanks, Michael.

Re: Scanview Scanmate 5000; damaged & in need of repair - SOS

Complicated story of mergers and acquisitions, though maybe this might help your search. ScanView was purchased by Perop-Eskofot, who changed their name to Esko-Graphics, who then later merged with Barco, later changing their name again to just Esko, currently emphasizing packaging and printing services only. Perhaps also of some interest is that the Lego company had a little involvement. Best I can recall is that all scanning products ceased production in 2004.

Some of the ScanView scanners where sold as Esko-Graphics ScanMate or Esko ScanView. I think there were also a few flatbeds with similar naming, which might confound searches a little.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on this thread. I know a few places in North America, whom I checked, though unfortunately none of them have any ScanView drums, nor parts. Hopefully you can find a pre-press equipment supplier in the UK. Best of luck.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Ask at the yahoo scan hi-end group. There's a fair number of scanmate users, and a fair number of European members as well.

Bruce Watson

While you are being given good initial directions, I'd be interested in the "story" that acounts for your needs. Oh, above all, do not use ordinary cleaners on the drum (eg, Windex, Amonia, Etc. Drums can be "refurbished" to some extent. Scratches can be polished out to some extent. If you're doing small films you might be able to work around a small scratch. A new drum can cost as much as a whole "used" scanner with drum(s). A new drum using your base is probably less costly than a complete drum so don't throw it away. If in this quest you come across anyone with a SV 11000 I'd be interested in some communication.

thanks for the replies.....

does anyone know of a company that will polish out scratches in a drum?... (Scanner is tested and working now) it's more of a scuff than a deep scratch as such but sadly it goes all the way around the drum several times on the inside near the spindel end....

it can be worked around but would obviously be better fully operational...

thanks, Michael.

Saratoga, CA

On the Scanmate drums there is a black line across the drum and at the spindel end the line goes 90 degrees. If the markes are past this line toward the spindel they are outside the area of the drum that is scaned. What you are describing sounds like the markes that the wheels on the mounting station leave. I have some drums that I'm not using if you are interested in one (or more).

Gale

Thanks again,

We are familiar with the lines made by the rubber wheels of the mounting station, these clean off with the chemicals...

the story...it was a monday morning (if that goes some way to explaining things - after the glastonberry festival) and the drum was mounted into the scanner, but it seems not completely locked in and jarred loose during the initial preview, so it rubbed against the inner probe scratching the inside of the drum...tears.

so yeah we are currently working around the scratches, but this won't be time efficient when it comes to 5.4...

i happen to have a working scanview scanmate 5000 that i now no longer have a need for and i'm looking for a good home......

i live in london and my mob no. is 07831 555788

tim