Thread: Fun With Large Format

Fun With Large Format

Hello

First of all, thanks to everyone who contributes to this site. It's great just to browse the posts, do searches, etc. and get loads of wonderful information and opinions. I hope some day to be able to contribute something myself.

I have wanted to take up large format photography for a long, long while but thought I never had the time. Recently it dawned on me that life doesn't go on forever (I'm 53) and I'd better get my butt of the couch and get going and make time. There are a lot pictures I want to make, and if I'm fortunate I've got around 25 years to do it.

I've taken eight 4x5 pics so far using TMax 400. Blew one by not closing the shutter before I removed the dark slide. It might not matter because because I may have even fogged the whole box, as I found out after the fact that the foil packets are not guaranteed to be light tight What the hey, I've been learning to set up and use my camera and the light meter. Each time I set up and take the pic, it seems to take a little less time, as I'm becoming more familiar with the gear and the process. When I learn to develop (my chemicals arrived today!!!), I'll see what happened, and if I've been doing everything all wrong.

I've geared up for my usual summer vacation in Rhode Island, my home state (I live in Indianapolis, IN). Usually, I trot out the surf fishing gear and fish every moment I can. This trip I've decided to take the camera and two assistants to carry my gear (my two teenage sons). For travel, I broke down and got some Readyload TMax and Quickload Provia. I just hope I don't get spoiled. That stuff's expensive, but it's probably very, very nice to use.

Nice to be here.

Ed Cardoza

Re: Fun With Large Format

Welcome to the forum Ed. Your early experiences sound pretty much par for the course. Your teenage sons are really lucky to get LF exposure at that age. My father painted landscapes, which didn't interest me but may have created an interest in landscape photography.

Good Luck!

If you want to catch up with the rest of us, on your next trip with the camera, you need to pull the darkslide closest to the ground glass at least once. Make at least one irreplaceable exposure of a never to be repeated scene with the darkslide still in place. And don't forget to pack several unloaded film holders with the white side out so you think there's film in them. Have a great time and don't forget to post some pictures.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Welcome from Vancouver in the Canadian Rockies, Ed;glad to have you here.Cheers,Uri

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    If you want to catch up with the rest of us, on your next trip with the camera, you need to pull the darkslide closest to the ground glass at least once. Make at least one irreplaceable exposure of a never to be repeated scene with the darkslide still in place. And don't forget to pack several unloaded film holders with the white side out so you think there's film in them. Have a great time and don't forget to post some pictures.
    When it comes to using the "wrong" darkslide. I have done that and the negative was already exposed.

I'm sure that you will learn by doing all misstakes (and I bet the gurus sometimes do the misstakes over and over)

/ Marcus

Welcome, Ed! When you get a chance, check out the Midwest Large Format Asylum's web site: http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/

We're just an unorganized bunch of (mostly) large format photographers who occasionally get together to tell unlikely lies, admire each others' cameras, lenses, tripods, light meters and focusing cloths, and (sometimes) take pictures. It's a very laid-back group: no organization, no officers, no dues, no responsibilities, no worries. There are members in Indianapolis and the surrounding area and posting a message that you're planning on going somewhere to photograph has a reasonable chance of at least one person responding, "That sounds interesting: I'll join you." Lots of opportunity to ask questions on the web site's forum and we also have a mailing list. Someone usually tries to organize a photo expedition about once a month (the third weekend has become traditional but isn't cast in concrete,) and folks are just starting to discuss something for July now. May was in Elkhart, IN, a couple of hours north of you and there was an outing either last year or the year before in Indianapolis which drew, oh, half a dozen. We viewed the Edward Weston show downtown and then photographed in the area.

I usually try to organize a trip to Turkey Run State Park in the autumn; I love it there and it was the site of the very first Asylum outing, years ago. Add your name to the mailing list and join the forum: you aren't required to actually do anything beyond that, so it's pretty low risk. Welcome!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by ecard1832 View Post
    Recently it dawned on me that life doesn't go on forever ...
    WHAT! When did this happen?

Your mistakes to date and Michael Graves' list of other boo-boos eventually get so exasperating that your mind does get tack-sharp focused as you start the photograph. Best not to (1) think about anything else, (2) explain to an onlooker--even a good friend--what you are doing.

Thanks everyone for the welcome! Sorry to have been the bearer of the bad news, cyrus.